Thread: Moving into MD

Default Moving into MD

So I live in Woodbridge area now, but a possible job change may bring me to Ft. Meade area. Now the internet has many sites I can look at for general information on areas in MD, but I was wondering if anyone reading this would have a few general neighborhoods or zip codes preferable for families based on first or second hand experience. I think my plan is to look for good schools and hope good neighborhoods will follow. Also, to keep my fingers crossed for that area being next to water. I dont really know much about the area between DC and Baltimore, but I did use to live in Suitland and will never live in PGC again. If I can help it.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. I know this isn't fishing related, but I'll be closer to the Chesapeake so maybe I'll be fishing it more.
    Last edited by jsnyd86; 06-21-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    -Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

Most places in Howard Co will be good. I am in Elkridge and our schools are quite good. Any place with a good school district will be expensive

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Severna Park and Pasadena in Anne Arundel county both offer you a reasonable commute to Ft, Meade, (I did it for almost 30 years from Pasadena as did many of my co-workers) and excellent public access to tidal waters. That includes the Bay, the Severn, the Patapsco and tributaries of those main rivers.

Both communities offer excellent schools -- In Pasadena, the Bodkin Elementary/Chesapeake Middle and Senior High Schools feeder systems are noteworthy. They draw from excellent income areas and have high parental involvement. I cannot speak to specific schools in Severna Park because my children did not attend them. But by reputation I hear they are good.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I grew up and have lived in the Pasadena area most of my life, I currently live in Orchard Beach. Its not for everybody but I have always liked it here. Nice people and good fishing all around. easy commute to ft meade baltimore and annapolis. I have friends who swear by the schools in catonsville and elkridge areas as I do not have children I cannot give an honest evaluation.
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

If you want great schools then Howard County is the place for you. Quick commute to FT Meade. Fishing required anywhere from a 10 minute drive to 45 minutes, depending on where you want to go. 21029 zipcode rocks. Some portions of Columbia have better schools than others. Great place to live.

I suggest moving to somewhere on the upper Severn River with water access. Then I suggest letting us all park and launch at your house

But really, both AA and Howard both have pretty good fishing access, so I would not worry on that front. If you are more into freshwater however, I would say that Montgomery could be a better bet perhaps.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Crofton, davidsonville area is good too Pasadena, severna park as already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! Thanks everyone. I'm hesitant about uprooting again but having some areas to key in on helps ease growing pains

-Jon
    Revo 13
    Forest Camo Jackson Cuda 14

I would say it's hard to find a BAD area of aa county. Yes some are better than others depending on your perspective and budget.