Catching up on my catches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching up on my catches

My laptop has been acting up recently so I took it to repair shop last weekend. One week later, with a new hard drive and some adjustments to Windows 10, I'm back in business.

I have two trips to recap.

Early last week Harry (On the fly) and I planned to launch from Ft. Smallwood to chase stripers. However an understated wind forecast (what's new?) resulted in 2 foot waves at launch time. We therefore diverted to the protected waters of the upper Magothy at nearby Beachwood Park and changed our choice of species to white perch. Beachwood Park offers excellent water to fish but getting to it is not a trivial task. Your choices are two: A long straight path to the water that offers a significant incline on the way back. Or a gentle sloping, winding path through the park's trees that requires negotiating an even steeper hill at the water's edge, but that slope is short. We decided on the latter...a little
    pain vs. a sustain pull.

Here's Harry pulling his rig through the woods:

C.jpg

I really like fishing for white perch. One of the things I like the most about them is the company they keep. Here is my first fish of the day:

A.jpg

This was quite a surprise and a fun catch on light tackle. I caught it in 5 to 6 feet of water under a dock -- perch territory.

Another odd thing happened on that trip. In four seasons of kayak fishing, I'd never had a fish tangle on my Mirage Drive until that day. See here:

B.jpg

Again, this striper was under a dock in perch territory. But when I hooked it, it made a beeline for my boat. Soon it had wrapped my line around my fins. This is the first time I have caught and released a fish through my Mirage Drive well.

I caught 3 more stripers that day and surprisingly no white perch. However, Harry found a good number of white perch and a pickerel too.

Later in the week John Veil, John Rentch and I went white perch fishing in a Severn tributary. I was anxious to go because I had just purchased a new 4 weight fly rod and I wanted to test it. It worked well. Here's my first fish on it:

D.jpg

That was a nice pull on a 4 weight. But it got better:

E.jpg

Altogether I got 9 perch that day and a tiny striper. I was using floating line and a small blue over white Clouser Minnow. John Veil got an 18 to 20 inch striper and a good number of perch. John Rentch got over 20 perch, mostly on a white spinner. We employed the typical white perch tactic of working shorelines. I found most of my success in shaded areas. The Severn SAV is still present but greatly diminished over recent weeks.

So, the white perch are finally in my favorite spots and some are sharing water space with stripers. I really enjoy this time of year.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-18-2016, 05:02 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Nice report and quality perch.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great report Mark! And the Mirage drive one cracked me up! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Glad you have been putting that 4 weight to use and getting your Perch fix. Maybe your net trip will include a keeper Rock it. That would be too much fun!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice meeting you guys at Beechwood. I managed to catch a few stripers at the launch and then went back with my son and our kayaks on Friday evening and had a respectable outing. A few times we were catching perch on back to back or every other casts. We probably ended up with about 20 white perch, a nice yellow perch, and 10 small stripers all on small spinners.

Comment

Originally posted by pbharvey View Post
            Nice meeting you guys at Beechwood. I managed to catch a few stripers at the launch and then went back with my son and our kayaks on Friday evening and had a respectable outing. A few times we were catching perch on back to back or every other casts. We probably ended up with about 20 white perch, a nice yellow perch, and 10 small stripers all on small spinners.
            Excellent. I'm glad you and your son got out on the water there and had some success.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great report. Sounds like fun. I am unfortunately out for the next month, because of critical projects I'm working on. But, I love reading your reports.

Best Regards,
              Stan
              Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Good to hear the Severn is warming up at last. This weekend is looking nice as well, excited to get out there.
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                X