Retirement present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement present

Last night I was honored with a retirement dinner in Washington, DC...about 50 or so of my fellow union colleagues, some employer reps, and academics I have closely worked with over the past 43 years came together and threw me a farewell dinner- during the ceremonies, I was given some pretty amazing gifts- not the least were several Bass Pro Shop electronic gift certificates...when we got home I tossed everything in envelopes on the table and went to bed tired and sleepy...got up at my normal 5 am this morning, brewed a pot of coffee and looked at the envelopes...Wow! A total of $1950 worth of Bass Pro gift certificates!!! Seems like everyone knew of my kayak fishing passions and the fact I am restoring my 1974 170 Aquasport CC...Last year I bought all the supplies and equipment necessary to bring the boat back to life, including all the electronics,a new super duper dual purpose battery, anchor, anchor retrieval system, lightly used 75 Hp Yahama outboard, 6 gallons of epoxy, lots of glass cloth and mat, three sheets of 1/2 inch Mercanti Marine plywood, new 27 gallon Aluminum fuel tank, new USCG approved fuel hoses, clamps, etc.- marine electrical wire, new Yahama binnacle controls, new no feed back Teleflex steering cable, and assorted SS fasteners...so all that is already bought and in my workshop just waiting on me to get the time to laminate a new floor, install the fuel tank, hook up the engine and re-wire the center console...so all the Bass Pro Shop gift certificates are for the fun stuff- now, what do you think I am going to do Sunday morning? Yep, headed to Ann Arundel Mills...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-21-2016, 08:40 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron,

Congratulations on a lengthy successful career and the admiration of your collegues. That's the best anyone can ask for when concluding their working life. Now it's time for you and for fun. Enjoy your shopping spree at Bass Pro.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on your retirement. We look forward to many fishing reports.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats! Can't wait to retire myself. Only 35 years away.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Congrats on your retirement.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Congrats!! Well deserved!! I think we have found the new President of SMOG(Southern MD Old Guys) who like to fish

Your only problem now is...... So much time... where do I launch from today... What species do I target today.......

If I had that many gift card to BPS I think I would walk in and faint from the excitement

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

I about fainted when I finished opening all the cards- one of my employees coordinated the effort- knowing I had planned a couple of purchases for my boat project- he is a licensed DC Chief Building Engineer and I was asking his advice on the installation of a marine battery charger system for dual batteries...which system to buy, the pros and cons...so he suggested that I would welcome Bass Pro Shop gift certificates as the gift of choice to folks that called in asking...other than a few plaques, that is what I got...smart man!

Comment

Congrats and enjoy!
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats Ron! It is nice to be retired.

Comment

I'll let you know in two weeks...going in today to clean out my personal things from my office- pictures, plaques, awards...43 years is a long time in the same career...looking forward to the next chapter of my life- got lots of goodies Sunday for my boat project to complete- just the required USCG stuff is a lot- fire extinguisher, emergency signaling kit with smoke flares and flare pistol, life preservers, 200' anchor rode, galvanized anchor chain...then optional stuff that I consider necessary- battery switch, onboard battery charging system, 2nd AGM battery, high capacity automatic bilge pump, hoses, clamps and SS mounting hardware...all that ate up half of my gift certificates...

Comment

Working...
                    X