No announcement yet.

Kayak Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this response to be absolutely false. You do not NEED to do any of that in order to make them work. I did install a deck only because I use mine for other than my OUTBACK. However, I have taken my stock trailer over many many many miles without any issues. Tires, bearings and standard length hitch. Not sure which kayak you plan to haul but I built a "H" out of 2x4s which the Hobie lays perfectly flat on when inverted, strap it straight down and drive with no issues whatsoever with plent of space around the kayak to either haul a box of gear or a pvc rod holder full of rods. The HF trailer is invaluable.

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
    There are so many hidden costs with HF trailers that you're almost certainly better off spending some more money up front. At the bare minimum you have to install a deck, upgrade the tires (they usually come with tiny 8" tires), re-grease the (Chinese) bearings and extend the hitch before taking it out on the road. Those projects gobble up any initial savings pretty quickly, and you haven't even gotten to the point where you can put a yak on it. You'll probably still need tie down points, bunks, and a place to store your gear.

In hindsight, it would probably make more sense to buy one of those steel utility trailers they sell for ~$600 at Tractor Supply Company.
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
    X