Kayak Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Trailer

I'm looking for something that I can haul all my gear on as well as strap my kayak to. Anybody got anything or seen anything that could do the trick? It always seems to be one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a coverted double jet ski trailer,.takes 4 kayaks .I have also seen a solo jet ski trailer rigged for a single kayak .Found mine reasonable on craigs list

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
    Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

harbor freight has a bunch of options. i dont know the quality, but many have used them

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...cted&q=trailer
      sigpic

Comment

13433155_1179255022095003_2189756975126216938_o.jpg

Comment

There are so many hidden costs with HF trailers that you're almost certainly better off spending some more money up front. At the bare minimum you have to install a deck, upgrade the tires (they usually come with tiny 8" tires), re-grease the (Chinese) bearings and extend the hitch before taking it out on the road. Those projects gobble up any initial savings pretty quickly, and you haven't even gotten to the point where you can put a yak on it. You'll probably still need tie down points, bunks, and a place to store your gear.

In hindsight, it would probably make more sense to buy one of those steel utility trailers they sell for ~$600 at Tractor Supply Company.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I just bought a kayak trailer from Castle Craft, Model SUT-220-S for ~ $1000, plus the cost of a spare tire. It is sold as a kit, free shipping by Fed-X and you must assemble the trailer. You only need to be mildly handy with tools to get her done. The positioning of the bunks are very adjustable along the tongue.

http://www.castlecraft.com/Trailex_Single_Kayak.htm

The trailer does not come with a storage box. I gotta ask, why don’t you just put equipment inside your tow vehicle?

I’ll attach a pic of the one I bought.

Trailer - B.jpg
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
              I just bought a kayak trailer from Castle Craft, Model SUT-220-S for ~ $1000, plus the cost of a spare tire. It is sold as a kit, free shipping by Fed-X and you must assemble the trailer. You only need to be mildly handy with tools to get her done. The positioning of the bunks are very adjustable along the tongue.

http://www.castlecraft.com/Trailex_Single_Kayak.htm

The trailer does not come with a storage box. I gotta ask, why don’t you just put equipment inside your tow vehicle?

I’ll attach a pic of the one I bought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19185[/ATTACH]
              Gear can go in the jeep easy enough if it's just me, but with the family and the dog there's not enough space. Couldn't fit everything and had to leave it behind on the last trip down to OBX, don't want to have to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19171[/ATTACH]
                This, but covered. Just a cover for the gear, kayaks can get wet right? [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post

If you store your yak on a trailer (like I do) and have a place for rods, coolers, PFDs, mirage drive, etc. (like I do not...yet) then you can be ready to go at a moments notice. Having everything necessary in one place can be a big time saver. Plus, it's less fishing gear in the shed/garage.

Storing gear in the tow vehicle just means more loading/unloading, though I suppose this is a non issue if your tow vehicle is a dedicated fishing vehicle.
                  I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Garmin Echomap 93sv
                  RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

That's what I'm trying to have, then it can just sit in the garage and be ready to go at a moments notice.

Comment

I have the Harbor Freight trailer that folds and stores upright. It is a beast to get in the upright position (though there are tricks to make it easier). I purchased it used and the cost of registering it will be more than the cost of purchasing the trailer used... It works great however (used it once or twice, not quite legally).. if I ever get it legally on the road.

I would recommend AGAINST buying a trailer used, even if the guy you buy it from is an upstanding person (the guy I purchased mime from was great).. the DMV system simply makes it a better idea to buy new.
                      People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Here is my trailer. It us a dual jet ski trailer. It has a Hobie Toybox in the middle (white thing) that holds just about everything for the PAs. It has a storage compartment on the front to hold the mirage drives, tools and everything needed to service the trailer.

The support tubes are carpeted and have ends that unscrew to hold rods and long things.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

I really like the Trailex trailers. They are light and can also be used as a dolly. I have been using one for seven years and am very satisfied with the trailer. I do alot of trailering and the Trailex has held up well.

Comment

You might want to check out a utility trailer - something a little more heavy duty than one from HF. I've seen one (I think it was Ron Ault's) rigged up and it looked great.

Comment

I know they're expensive, but the Hobie trailer with the cradles is really a great solution for me. I love how narrow it is and it lets me store my yak, a motorcycle and storage shelves on one side of a not very big garage. It's super light weight and I maneuver around with it using just one arm. This is my third year with it and I've towed to the Outer Banks and back with no problem. I did have a cradle crack and Hobie replaced it no questions asked.
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X