Go-To Speckled Trout lure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go-To Speckled Trout lure

Going to mix it up this weekend and target some specks. What is your go-to method for specks? Is it bait, grubs, spooks, mirror's or something else. I'm usually just jigs and grubs, but I may be bringing the skinny rod for I tied up a bunch of flies this winter. Haven't casted a fly rod in 20 years but gonna give it a college try. ( VA below crisfield area)
    Last edited by summersoff; 06-17-2016, 09:36 AM.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

I've caught a lot of speckled trout in Tampa, FL on an 1/8 oz. jig head dressed with a 12 Fathoms 3 inch Fat Sam mullet -- a paddletail. The paddle tail colors that have worked worked are whites, pearl and root beer.

I've also caught them on an 8 wt. fly rod casting floating line over shallow water with either Clouser Minnows or crystal buggers tied to my tippet. Fly colors have have been white, pink, blue and chartreuse.

When they're actively feeding, I'm not convinced color matters. Presentation always does.

I wish they were more prevalent in my home waters here in the Mid-Bay. They're fun to catch.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mirror lure 52...XRpaps....1/4 oz. jigheads with soft plastic swimbaits, redfish Magic, gotcha plugs...when you fish for redfish you are using the lures specks eat...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

On your way down stop in to Seahawks sport shop in Pocomoke (right on Rt. 13 as you leave town). Ask for Matt; the owner. He will point you in the right direction. He has an entire wall of Saltwater Bass Assassins. Some of my go to colors are pearl with a chartreuse tail, salt and pepper, opening night, and plain chartreuse. You also cannot go wrong with Gulp! swimming mullet. a 1/8oz. or 1/4 oz. jig head works these baits the best.

There are a few specks around. We caught three last weekend. Before you break out the fly rod, I would highly recommend trolling over grass beds in 2-6 FOW on both side of the high tide. Cover a lot of ground and change colors often if you aren't getting any love on the one (or two) you are currently trolling.

Good luck!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I used to spend summers at the Quality Inn at Pocomoke City for business at NASA Wallops Island- start my negotiations in May and finish by July 1st...shame I wasn't kayak fishing back then...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

If the water is flat enough, a pink/chrome skitter walk. If not, a 1/4 oz. jig head with a 3" or 4" white Gulp swimming mullet.
            2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
              On your way down stop in to Seahawks sport shop in Pocomoke (right on Rt. 13 as you leave town). Ask for Matt; the owner. He will point you in the right direction. He has an entire wall of Saltwater Bass Assassins.
              Good luck!
              Ain't that the truth. At the start of the season he recommended a popper that has been crushing them. It might be a long shot on the specks, but cruising around the backwater nooks and crannies is worth the adventure, regardless of fish.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

The ESVA is a place I know well. And you're absolutely right. It's not about the fish. IMO there aren't too many place more beautiful and abandon. It's an unreal feeling to fish ALL DAY without seeing another person or boat. Just you, clear water, grass beds, birds, and fish. I consider myself lucky to live within 45 minutes of there.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                X