Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Hobie First Cast Trip (offered through Survival Products)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Hobie First Cast Trip (offered through Survival Products)

Two years ago Hobie created a program to get interested anglers into Hobie kayaks and experience the advantage they offer first hand. The program is called Hobie First Cast. More info can be found here. And here.

This past Saturday, June 11th, we had our first Hobie First Cast trip. We had five anglers from Snaggedline (whoop whoop...way to represent this great forum). Patrick (yakscientist), Leo (WOOD YAK), Steve (farleybob), Don (dasher), and Borren (I don't have his screen name) made the trip from various places to meet me at Survival Products in Salisbury, MD. The trip was scheduled from 1:00PM-6:00PM. We left the store in Salisbury around 12:30 and arrived at our launch location to fish the Tangier Sound around 1:00. After unpacking 2 Hobie Outbacks and 2 Pro Angler 14's (Don brought his own PA 14). We fished past the 6:00 deadline until about 7:00 because the fish were biting and who can leave biting fish?!

I tried my best to get around to everyone and teach trolling techniques and provide information about where to find fish in the area we were fishing. It was tricky because the bay is so healthy, we have a lot of grass, but everyone was a quick study and picked up on the technique quickly. After a few hours of fishing, we beached the kayaks and had a catered lunch. The hatch of the PA 14 makes a great table! The guys in the Outback's switched to the PA 14's and vice versa. After lunch the fishing picked up a little as the tide began to move in at a faster clip. Leo took home the big fish honors for the day with a hard fighting 29" rockfish caught in about 2 feet of water! Don and Patrick also scored with two beautiful speckled trout! (Patrick might have lost a nice one by the boat, but I'll let him tell that story ). In addition to those, we also managed a few white perch.

Thank you all for coming!!! I can honestly say I had a blast taking you all and sharing the knowledge I have when it comes to specks and rock.

For those who may be interested, the trip was $100 per person (max of 5 anglers) and includes a catered lunch and drinks. We provide all the gear you would need. We have brand new Penn Fierce II reels on medium action Starr rods. Each angler is also provided with their own tackle box full of the same gear I frequently use, pliers, a PFD, and YETI coolers for your catch. If you choose to purchase a Hobie within 30 days of the trip, the $100 trip cost is deducted from the purchase price (so you basically get a free trip!). If you don't choose to buy, it is still a fun way to spend the afternoon and cut down on any learning curve you may have.

For those interested, our next scheduled trip is July 10th, but if you can come up with at least 3 people, I could arrange another date after June 26th, so long as it works out for everyone.

Here are the pictures of the guys. Thanks again!

Last edited by RavensDfense; 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Doug,

I had a blast. It's really worth for 6+ hours driving from Rockville. Highly recommended.
    Beautiful place. I learned a lot of fishing skills from you (I had also read Alan's book already). Thank you, and Survival Products & staffs.
    Hobie Outfiiter (Yellow)

Comment

Thanks, Borren! It was great having you along. You were on fire all day. Every time I looked over you were reeling in something.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Hi. I wanted to say thanks. That trip was a blast. RavensDfense did a great job with tips for trolling, fishing in general, and handling the kayaks for a relative beginner. I ended up the day with my first rock from a kayak and 7 rock overall, but no keepers (biggest was about 18"). The boats and tackle were great too. The hands free (more or less) of the Hobies made it easy to fish. It was a super day on the water with great folks.

Comment

Keepers were tough to come by that's for sure. Lots of almost keepers, but that changes by the day. Tomorrow may hold a whole new class of fish. I was pumped to see the specks. They added some excitement for the group, I thought. Thanks again for coming. I really enjoyed meeting you guys.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Doug thanks for guiding us. Your tips, the ability to "test drive" a Hobie, and of course the nice keeper made for a great day! You and Survival Products ran a organized and fun outing. Highly recommend to other Snaggedliners if they are looking for an economical way to learn and try out a kayak.
            WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

It was an awesome trip. Def worth the price, and I may even purchase a hobie down the road, now that I've seen how easy they make things, especially trolling. I am one grizzly looking SOB, def going to shave the beard off soon. Yeah that lost speck was my first one caught in many many years, and while I did manage to keep him from jumping (per doug's advice), I did try to muscle it in took quick and probably stretched the area in its lip around the hook. It then shook the hook about 4-5 yards from the boat, enough for me to see it was def a speck. Had a bunch of small rockfish besides that, as soon as I dialed in my speed and casting technique to keep the lure from diving too deep early on. I would like to catch some more on my side of the Bay, but heading over for another trip (either first cast or just meeting up to fish) wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe I will bring my kayak this time though, but I have to find a method to strap it to the top of my car, fuel for the truck would be insane for a 300 mile round trip.

Comment

Working...
              X