no-drill rod holders??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no-drill rod holders??

I just picked an older Revo (2010). The seller kept it clean with no drilling. I on the other hand am coming from a 16 Tarpon that I have treated like a pin cushion. I love my Tarpon, but I want to keep this one clean and if possible no drilling. Is there a way, or accessories I can buy or make that will allow me to troll two rods without drilling. I currently have a crate with straight up rod holders on the tarpon, but I hate trolling from them because I cant see them, any system that flares out, preferably stern, but bow also works.
    On another note, I've seen on youtube various no-drill anchor trolly systems, I have to ask, do they work, or are they only good on paper?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, totally psyched about this new-to-me Yak.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Can't speak for anyone else, but I have personally never seen a rod holder that isn't drilled to the kayak. I have 2 Scotty rod holders mounted across from each other up front and I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
      I just picked an older Revo (2010). The seller kept it clean with no drilling. I on the other hand am coming from a 16 Tarpon that I have treated like a pin cushion. I love my Tarpon, but I want to keep this one clean and if possible no drilling. Is there a way, or accessories I can buy or make that will allow me to troll two rods without drilling. I currently have a crate with straight up rod holders on the tarpon, but I hate trolling from them because I cant see them, any system that flares out, preferably stern, but bow also works.
      On another note, I've seen on youtube various no-drill anchor trolly systems, I have to ask, do they work, or are they only good on paper?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, totally psyched about this new-to-me Yak.
      pin cushion? lol thanks for the laugh. You could try Yakattack geartracs. You will need to scew them in but at least you can move and change whatever accessories you use.

Donnie
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I have a 2012 Revo. It has deck mounts on the gunnels immediately behind the seat. I use a Hobie extender in each deck mount and troll rods like you see in this photo.

K.jpg

They are easy to reach and there is no mistaking a strike (sound of the rod rattling in the holder and the drag screaming) even though the rod tips are not in my visual range unless I turn my head.

You will also see a BlackPak in the photo. I have Scotty base mounts on it to which I can attach bait casters on extenders for trolling.

B.jpg

I can see the rod tips when I troll with them.

I've learned that it makes no difference to me whether I see the rods or not as I troll.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

they do make them unfortunately Hobie Flush rod holders are shallow and they would probably not work properly.. https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Gimbal...0X7X9W5P09Z5PM
          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
          LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

If you want to avoid drilling and still troll, there is the always popular PVC set up that slides into the molded in rod holders behind the seat. They work great and are inexpensive to make. Just do a search on the forum.

Comment

These are the extensions I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Rod-Hol...ie+rod+holders

Work great.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

rod holders

Search Rocket Launcher

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                If you want to avoid drilling and still troll, there is the always popular PVC set up that slides into the molded in rod holders behind the seat. They work great and are inexpensive to make. Just do a search on the forum.
                LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

rocket1.jpgrockets.jpg
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Or go with these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDE1FJNNngE

Comment

Thanks for the great advice, a lot of good ideas to get me started. Like the Blackpak idea. Also searched revo rocket launchers, and saw some cool ideas. They seems like a fun build.
                      thanks again.

Oh yeah, what about the no-drill anchor trolley? Anybody using one?
                      Jay

10' Green Slayer
                      13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                        Oh yeah, what about the no-drill anchor trolley? Anybody using one?
                        The need for an anchor depends on your fishing style. I never anchor in my Revo. However, I do not bottom fish or jig and I rarely stay in one spot for long. If I need to hold position I do so with my pedals or simply circle back to where I was. I do not even carry an anchor with me in the Revo.

I have an anchor for my Ultimate which came with trollies on each side but again I rarely use it. Even yesterday at Unicorn when the wind was blowing hard I drifted along casting to targets in lieu of anchoring.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

^^^^
                          Unfortunately, even though I drift and troll a lot, I need an anchor. It really helps me hit points for specks, weaks, and crabbing. Maybe/hopefully with pedals I can rely on it less, but for now I really like anchoring for hitting points and rips.
                          Jay

10' Green Slayer
                          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I just built a rocket launcher for about $30 of pvc at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 on these
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDE1FJNNngE

I have them on my 2016 outback and love them for the flexibility and how easy it is to get the rods out. I am ready to get the "H-Rail models for my PA-14!

Yak67
                              2015 Hobie PA-14
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

Working...
                              X