Spring Wrap Up-Bull Reds on the ESVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Wrap Up-Bull Reds on the ESVA

Each spring, Hemmingway and I (and sometimes SlobberBob when he can get off work on a non windy day ) spend more than a few days, peddling a ton of miles on the ESVA targeting bull reds. Over the past few years, this has been a very hit or miss fishery for us. We've caught some reds, but had many blowouts, skunks, and running into large school of non-hungry fish. This year (year 4 of targeting them), I feel like things changed a little. We fished for 3 days (I fished 4 days), putting in around 20 miles a day and found huge reds on two of the days. Due to the poor water clarity, we were exclusively trolling 6 inch Storm or Berkley paddle tails. Once we'd find them, the other guy would cast and hook up quickly. Reds are super competitive in a school and will crush most anything that hits that water.

One day we found them within 30 minutes and the other we did find them until the afternoon; somewhere around mile # "way too freaking many". I think this made it more exciting because you never knew when your rod would double over! I even had the pleasure of foul hooking a dolphin. That was an absolute mess. (He snapped my line and as far as I know still doesn't know he was hooked!)

We caught 7 reds total in 3 days, with several citation and the largest two being around 51"-52". It was a great spring that I am very thankful for. Last year with the birth of my wife and I's first child, I didn't get down to fish at all, so I am not taking this for granted! Here are a few pics that I have. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by RavensDfense; 06-08-2016, 09:10 AM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I can't even imagine the fight from a 50"+ red... I've only caught them up to low 30s and theyre a handful at that size. Jealousy at all time high...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

so jealous....
      sigpic

Comment

Glad to see Gary hook into one. Nice job guys!!!!
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Doug, Matt and I are gonna head down this weekend. Hit me up if you wanna link up.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Wow, fun to see the pics again! We had an awesome spring, and I feel so lucky and grateful to live so close to the best fishery for big Bulls in the world. The day we had peddled 12+ miles in 6 hours ranks as the best. We were at a point were Doug asked me if it was time to turn around and backtrack...he often let's the 'ol guy decide when to pull the plug. I said "big water, big fish, hell let's keep going" knowing my decision meet another 10 more miles. 200 yards later I am on with "dink" 43.5" er. Doug casts in the direction my fish was swimming, and he is hooked up. For the next hour and fifteen minutes we caught a total of five Bulls and all but the dink were citations. My final two were at 49" and 50"+ (it is so hard to get a measurement on a fish that big and keep them healthy). I have heard some folks that have caught many more Reds than me say that the 44" fish fight the hardest. That was not my experience (and I think Doug would agree), these big guys pulled me all over the place! I rig heavy, but that did not faze these bruts. We both found ourselves towed for over a half mile each time. Truly good stuff guys! Highly recommend getting after them!

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
              Glad to see Gary hook into one. Nice job guys!!!!
              Appreciate that lol I sure had to put my time in on them, but well worth every skunk trip!

Comment

Great work guys. Your hard work and perseverance paid off nicely.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks guys. It's nice when a plan comes together. And yeah, Shady...they pull crazy hard. I have some video where I may or may not have somewhat asked the red "to finally give up" around the 10 minute mark.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                    Doug, Matt and I are gonna head down this weekend. Hit me up if you wanna link up.
                    I appreciate the invite, but I have a Hobie First Cast trip on Saturday. Weather looks awesome, I hope you find some.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Awesome fish. All on paddle tails? I've always shied away from fishing paddle tails in off color water but maybe that's been a mistake...
                      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Congrats again fellas! They were well earned fish!

Maybe I'll get the weather and work gods on the same schedule for me next spring.
                        Brian

Comment

Nice job guys. That's awesome!

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                            Awesome fish. All on paddle tails? I've always shied away from fishing paddle tails in off color water but maybe that's been a mistake...
                            Yup. I've always used them as search baits, even though they lack the noise of other baits such as a large Rapala Xrap or Yozuri. For rock, I'll more often use a hard bait, when searching, but with reds they cant seem to resist the vibration the large paddle tail on the swim shad makes. It also looks exactly like the bunker that the birds, dolphins, and other marine life are feeding on, so that gives me some more confidence.

I've also caught them on a 6" gulp swimming mullet in chartreuse place on a 1 oz heavy duty jig head, but my go to is def the Storm swim shad in a darker color.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Those are some serious fish!! Well done guys, well done.
                              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                              X