New to the area...Kinda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the area...Kinda

Hey everyone! After 4 years gallivanting around the world as a SCUBA instructor, then 2 years in SC for grad school, I am back in MD.

We recently moved up to Shady Side, and it is good to be back on the bay again. Trouble is, I have never actually been on the water this far north, it was usually the Patuxent, Potomac, or CCNP and south for me. I have recently acquired a new kayak (if anyone is considering a Vibe Sea Ghost, I really recommend it), and have been trying to find some time to launch it , haven't been too successful between the weather and the ever growing to do list of a new home owner (list courtesy of the wife).

This Sunday I'm planning on taking the morning and trying the Bay Bridge with my brother in law, probably out of Sandy Point. Any suggestions on fishing the area? I haven't caught any spot yet, so I don't know if they're in the area to live line, but I could probably get a hold of some eels if they would work, in addition to the jigs/ lures that I will be taking along. Also, is a flag actually required for a kayak to have displayed?

Other than the Bay Bridge, what other areas should I look at that would be within decent kayak range? Especially areas that may hold decent amounts of croaker when they get here, my nephew is coming up and it is a blast to see a young kid get so excited when we can find a decent hole.

Thanks for any insight. If anyone is heading to SC and wants any advice, let me know, between undergrad and grad school, and just living there I have chased fish up and down that coast, mostly successfully.

There is a list of county launches on the net.
    I can't help with the croaker but I can tell you there are plenty of white perch around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here the launch link
      http://dnr2.maryland.gov/boating/Pag...access/aa.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

I live about 5 minutes from you. A buddy of mine and I kayak fish the area right around our house and have done pretty well. There are a few spots that have been productive and a few more that I've heard are good but am waiting on a calm day to paddle out to.
          Native Titan Propel 12
          Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
          Mercury 6hp
          Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
          Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

We expect the spot to show down in Southern Maryland any time now (although it was 41 degrees this morning)- I highly doubt they have gotten up to Sandy Point/Bay Bridge area yet- the croaker are showing up but no really big ones yet...still having keeper Stripers in the area if you can keep the CNRs off the hooks...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X