Eastport 7.17.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastport 7.17.11

the plan to was fish on saturday, but didnt wake up in time, so went crabbing with the lady today instead, ive been craving some steamed crabs.

again, woke up late so didnt get a chicken neck in the water until 10am. considering it was pretty freakin sunny and hot, ended up with 14 crabs 6"+ in a couple hours. not bad for a late sunny morning and good enough for me considering the lady doesnt eat seafood.

the Giant in Eastport sells chicken necks, forget what it was per pound, but ended up about 3 dozen hefty necks for 4 bux....split them up in ziplocks and froze them in sets of 8 and change. need to get a cheap umbrella for some shade while siting still int he sun..lol

btw, on saturday, i was crossing the bridge at about 130ish and saw someone in a yellow kayak near sandy point...i honked and waved...anybody here? was in a grey truck

then on the way back, around 4ish, saw someone in a red yak on the east side, honked and waved too..lol
    Attached Files
    sigpic

I have discovered ther Giant chicken necks myself. They sell quite a pile for a few dollars. When crabbing in the heat, it helps to be near some shallow water for a swimm.

Comment

Oh that was you. The red yak was me.

Comment

Nice haul sounds like a great day crabbing.

When you crab in your Kayak do you use crab traps or lines? How many lines or traps did you take out?

Thanks for the report.

Comment

ive been just handlining. i have traps, but havent used them yet. not even sure i will. it's pretty relaxing just floating there, then i can cast some lures at the same time for fun. ive been just using 8 lines, 4 on each side. dont think i would put out any more bc of tangles.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice mess of crabs. Haven't done that in years and I like crabs. Even better when you catch them yourself! Maybe a future M&G?

Comment

Never got around to crabbing last year but it is definitely on the list for next summer! Nice looking meal in that cooler Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

Anyone wanting to use traps, the easy way to carry them is to put broom sticks in your rod holders and slide the traps onto the broom sticks. I carry 12 that way. You could also put together a small trot line and crab that way. With the traps, I would also fish in between rounds with the traps.

Comment

I was wondering what of hand lines you are useing and how you rig them.do you use any weight. also what size line do you use.

Comment

i just use mason line. its basically thin braided nylon at home depot or lowes. just tie a chicken neck or whatever bait on one end, then other to your boat and throw it out unweighted. when a crab is on, pull line in steadily and scoup them up.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. I never thought about anchoring up in a cove and dropping some chicken necks down. Do you look for a certain type of bottom or drop-offs?

Comment

One of the guys that visits the forum, forgot his screen name, uses handlines with a section of pool noodle as a float. He then goes around and checks the pool noodle hand lines. This may work really well if you use a small sinker. It would probably work well in the back of a small creek or cove. Just keep track of your pool noodle sections and go pull up the hand lines on occasion. I would not have thought of that one. That way you can go fish and keep an eye on the handlines. It reminds me of the way they catfish in the South.

Thats one more use for a pool noodle.

Comment

Crabbing from a yak... that would be a different kind of meet and greet. I am game.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            One of the guys that visits the forum, forgot his screen name, uses handlines with a section of pool noodle as a float. He then goes around and checks the pool noodle hand lines. This may work really well if you use a small sinker. It would probably work well in the back of a small creek or cove. Just keep track of your pool noodle sections and go pull up the hand lines on occasion. I would not have thought of that one. That way you can go fish and keep an eye on the handlines. It reminds me of the way they catfish in the South.

Thats one more use for a pool noodle.
                            how would that work? the crab would just take the pool noodle for a ride. next thing you know, youre pool noodle is traveling towards traffic or somewhere you dont want it. not sure if want to be chasing running crabs..lol
                            sigpic

Comment

thanks for the info. will have to give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X