ESVA - last week in May; first week in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESVA - last week in May; first week in June

I went down the peninsula yesterday with RavensD and Hemingway to put some chum out, soak some bunker and see what we could pull up. We also tried one day last week but the wind and waves made it tough and all we came up with were rays. This time conditions were much better and we were able to anchor up in comfort.

As usual, the rays were more than willing to follow the chum slick back to the kayak, and I was beginning to think it was going to be another bust with nothing to show for our effort other than rays, when I finally got that one screaming run that instantly felt different than all the rays I had caught that day. This thing was taking line fast and I could feel short, quick head shakes. Eventually I was the dorsal fin break the surface like 80 yards in front of me and I knew it was on. At that point I came off anchor and the battle ensued.

It felt like I fought it for an hour - probably more like 25 minutes in reality - but this thing was a submarine bulldog. I got it up several times only to see it head back to bottom like I had no drag at all. I couldn't believe it's power as it stubbornly hugged the bottom under my kayak unwilling to come back to the surface. Eventually it wore and I was finally able to land a BIG one... a sweet feeling I won't soon ever forget and I hope others get to experience at least once from a kayak.

Measured out to 51" x 24.5" girth.
    Brian

Nice fish!

Comment

Beautiful. That must have been fun!! Congrats.
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The cobia whisperer does it again! Second time I have paddled away from this guy (to find greener pastures), only to have him become the pied piper for all the Brown Clowns in the Bay! Lesson learned! I will be sticking tight next time bro! It was so cool to have it come together for you yesterday, a lifetime memory for all of us! Congratulations!
          Last edited by Hemingway; 06-04-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Hell yea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Great catch!
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Awesome bro!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks fellas! Sometimes it pays to be lucky

Gary, your up next! And thanks for taking the picture.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

I meant to ask you, what kind of setup do you have for cobia?

-Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Awesome fish

Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

You really are the cobia whisper man. Congrats again. For those people who get WBOC, the entire fight was filmed for a local TV show called Outdoors Delmarva. It should air one week from today (on June 11th) at 7:30pm and 11:30pm.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

badass! congrats
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post

Appreciate that positive prediction, and will gladly oblige. However I did get a 37"er in the yak last year, so I am thinking our buddy Doug has been putting in the time long enough so the man in the brown suit better be looking out for him as well. With the cobia whisperer as our guide how can we miss? Seriously though, this is some really cool fishing we are doing...true most would not consider 2-3 ft snot seas and five plus miles off shore fun but you are the proof that it can pay off, and thanks to the State of Va. having a backbone, we can keep chasing them all the way to the end of August.

Comment

Epic fish man!! Was that the lone brown clown to bite for you all?

So upsetting I didn't go...but sadly I was unprepared. No chum, no bait, and a down reel. Haha...*sigh*
                              Hobie Revolution 13
                              Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Working...
                              X