Magothy morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magothy morning

I finally made a little time and got out on a branch of the Magothy this a.m.
    I ended up with a fair number of white perch, all between 5 and 8 inches. Maybe 15-20 fish over a two hour period.
    They were hanging in deeper water, 6-8 feet, and were not up under the docks.

This particular tributary has had a pretty dense bloom of grass in the shallows, the perch were hanging along the deep water edges.

The usual green chartreuse spinner jigs were the best choice. The ones with the green striped blade were the most productive.
    I did try a 3" curly tail on a 1/8 oz. jig head, just for comparison's sake, didn't have a hit.

Originally posted by bignose View Post
    I finally made a little time and got out on a branch of the Magothy this a.m.
    I ended up with a fair number of white perch, all between 5 and 8 inches. Maybe 15-20 fish over a two hour period.
    They were hanging in deeper water, 6-8 feet, and were not up under the docks.

This particular tributary has had a pretty dense bloom of grass in the shallows, the perch were hanging along the deep water edges.

The usual green chartreuse spinner jigs were the best choice. The ones with the green striped blade were the most productive.
    I did try a 3" curly tail on a 1/8 oz. jig head, just for comparison's sake, didn't have a hit.
    Good for you. You had pullage.

The Weems white perch remain afflicted with lockjaw. However the few that bite -- check that, the only one that bit my lure today -- was larger than its Magothy neighbors.

F.jpg

Notice that it hit a 1/8 oz. jig and Mr. Twister. Clearly the Weems perch missed the memo telling them that they were supposed to bite spinners. I tried them too.

Like your Magothy site, the SAV is very dense in Weems. Much of the shoreline in the back portions of the creek remains choked with heavy plant growth. That was exacerbated by a very low water level when I was there today. The tops of the plants were floating on the surface.

Plus, CNRs are present. I didn't spot them but a paddle boarder pointed to a school of them while he and I were talking.

I've fished roughly 6 hours in my last two Weems outings (Monday and again today) and caught a whopping total of 5 white perch.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X