Assawoman Bay Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assawoman Bay Thoughts?

Im going out on the Assawoman bay this weekend behind OC and I was looking for any advice for that area. Might be in a boat if things are a little rough in the kayak. Aside from the inlet, any advice for fishing the bay? Whats biting and on what? Thanks!!!
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Outside of the inlet, I would suggest the Rt. 90 and Verrazano (Assateague) bridges are worth a look. It isn't really deep there outside the channel, but the areas will still hold flounder, blues, stripers, and maybe some specs this time of year. The Rt. 90 has lights and is a good place to go at night.

Bucktails, jig heads/soft plastics, rattle traps, or bait will work.

Otherwise, just drift the channels/flats for flounder.
    Brian

Comment

Fished in OC last weekend with little success. Couple of short tog off Martha's with sand flea and a shad on a bottom rig on white gulp while looking for flounder.
      Spent most of my time between the Thoroughfare and the inlet trying both the east and west channels. I talked with a neighbor and who said there was a good run of blues first thing in the morning at the 50 bridge. I'll be out again this weekend, hopefully the flounder have got to show up in numbers soon.

Comment

Drift the channels with Gulp Alive or live minnows on a 3 way swivel rig with 8" dropper, 1 oz weight, 24" leader and flounder spinner hook.

Comment

Ran into cow nosed rays in Assawoman several miles north of Rt 90 bridge. & sea nettles are already abundant. I've seen some nice stripers in the shallows while crabbing.
          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Went out Saturday and had a blast. Only one keeper but it was a good size flounder. Caught on Gulp Saltwater white shrimp with pink tail. Can't wait t get back out!IMG_3786.jpg
            Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

Good job! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Did you use the kayak or boat?
              Brian

Comment

It's been years since i fished for flounder by boat down there but the bridges are always safe bets. We used to make the flounder hanger rigs, not even sure what they're called, but i would think if rigged up with gulp minnows it'd be a deadly combo for drifting/trolling.

Comment

could you describe it? the "hanger rigs"
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Only picture if could find online was this drawing. My boat tackle setup is still down in bethany. It normally has a second crossbar to stabilize and weigh it down a little more. We used to put spinners either at the top of the rig or after a dual swivel weight.

We'd normally just throw two minnows on, and target channel edges along the little and big assawoman. The idea is pretty simple, flounder get excited when they see the sand stirred up and these pretty much rip up everything in their way. Local tackle shops may have them, they're old school probably at this point, but with a chartuse and pick gulp alive I think it'd be worth a try.

Comment

I've seen them called spreader bars. The only time I've seen them being used is from people atop the rt. 50 bridge before.
                      Brian

Comment

Probably explains why I had such a hard time finding examples using my terminology. I really hadn't thought about them in years until I saw a well respected surf angler throwing one across the wash. Never saw them used that way, but he was doing well enough that I took note.

Comment

Working...
                        X