Lake Moomaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Moomaw

My family is planning a trip to Lake Moomaw later in June and wanted to know if anyone has been? I looks like an interesting lake with both warm and cold water species. Sounds like the fishing should be very good. Any additional insight to fishing and/or camping here would be appreciated! I'll follow-up with a fishing report when we get back.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

We just did a 3 day kayaking/camping trip there last weekend with my family. I grew up in that area, one of the most beautiful and relatively undisturbed lakes you'll find. Fishing was pretty good, I caught an 18" largemouth on a wacky Senko and had a few other smaller fish. Plenty of good standing timber and structure in the coves around the lake. Catfishing at night is usually really good there as well, we caught a couple. If you want to get out on the kayak at night, trolling with live shad for trout can be great as well.

As far as camping, there are a few campgrounds around the park for car camping. If you want to paddle there are also good camping sites either at Greenwood Point or, the one we used which is awesome, a short paddle directly across the lake and to the right a bit from the Coles Point launch back in a cove. You'll see a picnic table on a point about halfway back in the cove. If you want some more info on that one, I can mark it on a map for you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfishmike View Post
      We just did a 3 day kayaking/camping trip there last weekend with my family. I grew up in that area, one of the most beautiful and relatively undisturbed lakes you'll find. Fishing was pretty good, I caught an 18" largemouth on a wacky Senko and had a few other smaller fish. Plenty of good standing timber and structure in the coves around the lake. Catfishing at night is usually really good there as well, we caught a couple. If you want to get out on the kayak at night, trolling with live shad for trout can be great as well.

As far as camping, there are a few campgrounds around the park for car camping. If you want to paddle there are also good camping sites either at Greenwood Point or, the one we used which is awesome, a short paddle directly across the lake and to the right a bit from the Coles Point launch back in a cove. You'll see a picnic table on a point about halfway back in the cove. If you want some more info on that one, I can mark it on a map for you.
      We're staying at Bolar Mt campground on the Sugar Ridge loop. I'm definitely interested in finding some trout and bringing my downrigger to reach them. I'd also like to find some smallmouth or perch. I've read to ask the ranger station about oxygen levels as they are a good indicator where various species should be located. Did you talk to those guys?
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

hi read your report about lake moomaw going there oct 9 like to get together for details when it works for you scott 410-315-8670

Comment

Originally posted by scottdavis1 View Post
          hi read your report about lake moomaw going there oct 9 like to get together for details when it works for you scott 410-315-8670
          I doesn't look like I left a report, haha. From what I remember the fishing was poor, but unfortunately we got there right after a huge rainstorm and the lake level was way up and super muddy. All of the interior islands were flooded and filled with huge carp. I tried catching one, but they were not interested in my offerings. My dad caught a very nice smallmouth on an inline spinner near a weedbed. We all caught a few largemouth close to shore and I landed one perch deep on a walleye setup. The lake is beautiful though and just paddling around was very pleasant. I can't offer much advice since that was my first trip and obviously not very successful. What I can tell you is that around the campground you'll mostly find what I have mentioned above, but towards the southern part of the lake closer to the dam you can find trout in deeper water. I had a downrigger on my boat in anticipation of this and it was definitely required given the depths of this lake. Since the water was so muddy I didn't bother trying for a trout, but according to the Lake Moomaw Marine (baitshop) up the road they are there. My main suggestion is to go there first and see what they recommend, or even better call ahead.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
          X