7/16/2011 - Gettin Jiggy With It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/16/2011 - Gettin Jiggy With It

I got the chance to try my luck with the hot jig bite at the bay bridge this morning. I launched from SPSP with only a couple bags of Tiki-Shadick's, 20 lb Fluoro leader material and some 3/4 oz jig heads. The live well, Crate and other items were left back in my car with the purpose of concentrating on jigging up some fish. I did bring the UL rod though for a perch save if the fish gods were not cooperating.

The incoming tide was just finishing up and the wind was blowing SW around 10 knots. The wind was blowing me towards SP so combined with the tide it took me a while to get the proper setup to drift and jig the pylons correctly. The tide was also extremely high this morning. The water at the SPSP docks was almost even with the planks. The NOAA forecast for a flooding tide this morning was right on.

I made my way straight to the deeper water pylons on the East bound side starting at 28ft with a Chartreuse/white Tiki. I had several hits but could not get a hook in them. I think i needed to up the jig to 1 oz. I was having problems keeping in contact with the jig with the wind in my face as it fell. All hits came on the drop around the pylons. I expected this but it was harder to judge the hit on a slack line blowing in the wind. I changed colors to a Chartreuse and pepper flake bait after finding the support structure under one of the pylons and made my way over to the rock pile.

On the second good drift at the rock pile i landed my first rock of the day just shy of 18" I switched to a white tiki and worked the rock pile for the next several hours with 3 more fish just short of legal and a pair of 10" to 13" fish. I also foul hooked the biggest bunker i have ever seen. The hook pulled at the boat but i wish i got it on cam. It had to be close to 18".

When the tide stopped i pulled out the UL and spinner and tricked two nice perch to the boat. At least there was meat in the boat now so the pressure was off.

When the tide started turning i made my way back to the pylons and got back to work. After three missed hits in a row on the same set of pylons i finally got my first keeper of the year. It was around 22" and was fat and healthy so in the bag it went.

I hit a couple more sets of pylons with several more mis hooks and made it back to the ramp at 12:00. It was a great day on the water. I ended up with 1 keeper rock, 6 short fish and 2 nice perch. Id give Operation gettin jiggy with it an 80%. I didn't get my 30" fish but ill take 1 keeper and a few shorts any day. With a few more jigging trips i should be able to figure out the right drift and keep in better contact with my jig on the drop.

Video Recap.
    Bay Bridge Recap Video

Great report
    '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
    '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
    Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

WTG mmanolis2001!
      Thanks for the video also..
      GB

Comment

Well done, Mike. Nice fish and video, too. Even catching shorts gives you practice feeling the hit. Does that rod you made work well for jigging?
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice job, Mike! No better way to catch rock than LTJ'ing! Well, except maybe plugging the surf! My personal favorite!

Comment

Nice work! I cant wait to get out there again...on a calmer day
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Good job. I'm fired up to get back out there on the west side.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks.

The rod is a little soft in the mid section but it works ok. I think your are better of with a extra fast blank. I think a stiffer blank would allow you to get a better hook set when the line is slack. It would also give you a better pop when jigging with less effort.

Comment

I think I might head out there one evening after work... I need my Striper fix! LOL Great job and report!

Comment

sweet vid, thanks
                    sigpic

Comment

congrats on the keeper mike! great report and video too!

Comment

Looks like a good time! Can't wait to give it a go this weekend...
                        Ryan
                        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                        X