Fishing on the Chesapeake for the first time in a kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing on the Chesapeake for the first time in a kayak

Going on the bay for the first time tomorrow. I'll be launching from Solomon's. Any advice on what to look for? Bait? Structure? Seen a few people catching some really nice black drum. Any reds around yet? Safety advice?

Three inch chartreuse gulp on 1/4 oz. jig head works for striped bass, croaker and white perch...that is mainly what is available. Fish structure like rock jetty and boat docks...Watch out for schools of cow nose rays swimming around- snag one of those and you lose a rig...wear your pfd all the time you are on the water...when power boats come close put your legs out in the water and lean forward lowering your body as close to the deck so you don't turn over with their wake breaking over your kayak...they seem to be attracted to kayaks...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      Three inch chartreuse gulp on 1/4 oz. jig head works for striped bass, croaker and white perch...that is mainly what is available. Fish structure like rock jetty and boat docks...Watch out for schools of cow nose rays swimming around- snag one of those and you lose a rig...wear your pfd all the time you are on the water...when power boats come close put your legs out in the water and lean forward lowering your body as close to the deck so you don't turn over with their wake breaking over your kayak...they seem to be attracted to kayaks...
      Thanks a million

Comment

You should have luck on the St Mary's side of the bridge if you fish the bridge pilings where is is a little shallower, but be aware, there is likely heavy boat traffic. I've caught also fish at pt patience but the current can be moving pretty strong. Just down below Solomons' launch there is an oyster bed, & you are likely to see bottom fisherman looking for spot whatever else can be caught. If you follow the bridge into St marys and fish under it in in town creek you will find stripers. If you find jetties past the real shallow area there may be red drum there, I've caught more than my share when the water is moving.
        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

The fish are hanging in 35' of water down there. They've been suspended though. Use a lure to get down to 10-15'. Look for big schools on the fish finder. That's the big pattern right now. Definitely bring some jigs because the bigger ones are down low. Keep an eye out for birds and slicks...certainly groups of boats. The last 3 trips have yielded nearly 300 fish or so, total. Thursday was the slowest day, maybe only 75 fish and the quality was down....although I did have several really nice ones. The previous 2 trips were almost all 22-23" fish with several upper 20's and low 30's

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Dont forget to bring a whistle with you. That's required by law. Mine is attached to my pfd.
            Bring sunscreen too. Have fun!

Comment

And a good pair of polarized sunglasses
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                Thanks for the advice about boat wake. I never knew to do the legs over and lean forward. I fish a Tarpon 120 and have had a few scares at the Key Bridge riding out some rollers from over zealous boaters. I will be doing the legs over lean forward method.
                Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone. Couldn't make it out this weekend, but there will be others

Comment

Which format of Gulp!?
                    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by colinkelly View Post
                      Which format of Gulp!?
                      I'm sure they're talking about Swimming Mullet. But they have a tone of different types depending on your fishing style. The swimming mullet can be fished swimming and jigging too. I have had great success with 4 inch. Not so much with White Perch, but a nice sized one will take it!

Comment

I just ordered a couple of different versions and some solid jig heads, so we shall see what ends up on them.

Comment

Originally posted by colinkelly View Post
                          I just ordered a couple of different versions and some solid jig heads, so we shall see what ends up on them.
                          See here to save some money on that Gulp.
                          http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...highlight=gulp
                          Buy four bags get $15 back. All the details are in the thread.

Comment

Outstanding. Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                            X