Planning on AM trip out of weems creek 5/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning on AM trip out of weems creek 5/29

A buddy and I are planning on heading out of weems creek to fish the Severn on Sunday morning around 9 am Figured the Severn would be nuts but might get a wake brake in the creeks up and down the western shore of the Severn. Hoping to hook up to some perch or stripers. Any company is welcome! Also any advice is welcome too! This is the earliest in the year I've fished the Severn so not sure what could be biting. Hope to see some more people out there!
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

had great success on the water today. Thanks Mark for the great advice. Ended up with about 25 perch between myself and my buddy and he hooked into a small striker too. All caught on rattle traps, rooster tails, and beetle spinners. Also was nice because after 6 months in the garage I finally got a chance to test out my new kayak roof racks and they worked perfectly. Cut open a perch belly and found a crab claw. That's a first for me. The river was pretty rough but the creeks were nice and peaceful!
    Attached Files
    Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

I'm happy to hear that you found hungry perch in Weems Creek. The last time I checked (two weeks ago), there were not there. Congratulations on a successful outing.

If it is not raining too hard on Mon am, I may make a visit there for some perch pullage.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice rack on that jeep.
        I need something to hold mine but don't know what I want to use just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jaryd,

Glad you found them.

They were overdue this year.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Brianisoutside

I have a roof top rack mount that I don't use anymore and only used a few times. Pm me if your interested.

Comment

Congrats on a good day of fishing.

Went out there this morning myself and just didn't have much luck. Between the wife and me we only landed about six small ones staying in the creek. You catch most in the creek or out in the river? Just couldn't find a pattern to catch the fish. Heading up the creek the grass was thick and pretty irritating and had absolutely no bites. More were found as we headed to the mouth. Looked like a good school on the FF near the mouth of the creek but just couldn't find a way to get them. Shorelines were also unproductive for us.

Comment

Mark and I fished Weems this morning. The fish were not in their usual shoreline spots. I found one cluster of fish near a dropoff and caught 4 perch and 2 stripers. The two stripers were less than 10" but I saw several of 16" to 20" swimming by in shallow water. I am confused trying to figure out where the perch are and why they are not where they should be at this time of year.

One observation I made this morning -- the water has better clarity than it usually does for Memorial Day (probably because of the huge amount of SAVs in the creek). At one spot near the mouth of Weems, I lowered a lure until I could not see it any more. It was nearly 6' down. Normally 2' visibility is a good summer reading for Weems. It is possible that the perch are not being fooled as easily by lures because they can see more clearly.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We caught some in weems over by the drawbridge but the majority were up in Luce creek. It's true the water was unusually visible but once you found a nice quiet bay in a creek they were all over the place.
                  Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

I got only 4 white perch but the good news is that they were my first ones of the year. Each was chunky and healthy and each was released.

Here are three:

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg

Two hit a 1/8 oz. jig spinner and two hit a small Rattlin' Rapala. Notice that I swapped out the trebles for in-line hooks on the Rapala.

The SAV has indeed improved water clarity as John suggested. I believe it is breaking up now. Patches of it are uprooted and floating and overall it was not as thick as it was during my last visit nearly 2 weeks ago.

Kudos again to Jaryd for catching so many yesterday. The bite was a little tepid today.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Mark and I fished Weems this morning. The fish were not in their usual shoreline spots. I found one cluster of fish near a dropoff and caught 4 perch and 2 stripers. The two stripers were less than 10" but I saw several of 16" to 20" swimming by in shallow water. I am confused trying to figure out where the perch are and why they are not where they should be at this time of year.

One observation I made this morning -- the water has better clarity than it usually does for Memorial Day (probably because of the huge amount of SAVs in the creek). At one spot near the mouth of Weems, I lowered a lure until I could not see it any more. It was nearly 6' down. Normally 2' visibility is a good summer reading for Weems. It is possible that the perch are not being fooled as easily by lures because they can see more clearly.
                      They are all in the Magothy!
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                        They are all in the Magothy!
                        I hope their internal GPS sends a good number of them south.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          I hope their internal GPS sends a good number of them south.
                          three of us launched from Spriggs on Saturday and the fish finder was pretty much full out to the mouth in 8-12' of water. Caught more perch than I could count, not a lot of keepers though.
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Yeah I went out with John and his father in law on Saturday and we definitely caught a good bit of perch. I also got a 21" channel cat that hit one of the perch rigs baited with razor clam. I might post pictures tonight if I remember.

Comment

Working...
                            X