Ultra 4.7 vs Thresher 155

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra 4.7 vs Thresher 155

The time for an upgrade is upon me. My fs12t has been great to me but I want a BTB boat that has the necessary storage for camping.

Narrowed it down to the Ultra 4.7 and Thresher 155. I'm pretty sure a couple guys on here have Threshers but I haven't seen anyone with an Ultra. Just figured I'd ask for anyone's opinion that might give me some new insights making my decision easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

If your on facebook, look up Kayak Kevin. He uses a ultra 4.7 to kayak camp out of. Id shoot him a message he is usually very responsive and could give a lot of insight on the ocean kayaks.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Tan-Tarpon 140
    Lime-Pelican Matrix
    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Not knowing what BTB stands for, I'm just concerned of the length of both kayaks. Both are pretty long if you want to navigate the rocks in upper potomac river. As you know, the longer the waterline, the harder to turn. As for camping, I prefer to have much gear out of the elements as possible. Any large hatch openings is a big plus. The more hatches the better.

Donnie
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post
        Not knowing what BTB stands for, I'm just concerned of the length of both kayaks. Both are pretty long if you want to navigate the rocks in upper potomac river. As you know, the longer the waterline, the harder to turn. As for camping, I prefer to have much gear out of the elements as possible. Any large hatch openings is a big plus. The more hatches the better.

Donnie
        BTB = Beyond the Breakers. He's looking for a big water kayak.

Sega,
        Not sure if you looked at the Profish Reload but I love mine. I haven't taken it on the ocean yet but it has performed great for me on really windy days on the Susquehanna flats. There is a ton of room in the front hatch area, but the downside is there isn't any real storage inside the center of the kayak due to the tackle pod. Not sure how much gear you plan on taking camping.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

[QUOTE=reel-em-in;130289]BTB = Beyond the Breakers. He's looking for a big water kayak.

Thanks appreciated the clarification.
          Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
          2013 Cuda 12

Comment

The Ultra and Thresher were designed for that type of water. There are a lot of videos on YouTube with the Ultra's. The Ultra's have an extra pair of flush rod holders on the sides, similar to the Outback. I also like that the rod pod hatch can rotate, keeping your electronics safe should you roll while trying to punch through or re-enter the breakers. Not familiar with the Thresher, but there was a 140 up for raffle at JBay. Really nice boat. The Profish Reload that reel-em-in has is also designed for that type of water. The Bluewater Kayak Classic in Corpus Christi is a BTB tournament for kingfish, snapper, cobia, and they've gotten Viking to become a major sponsor. So I guess it would come down to what you like best. Doesn't seem like any of them would be a bad boat for BTB or multinight camping trips.

Oh, the Thresher 140 front hatch was over a molded bin. There wasn't access to inside the hull. That would limit the items you could take.

Comment

And youve knocked out the Jackson Kraken? That is a signature boat of Mr Offshore himself, Jim Sammons.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
                The Ultra and Thresher were designed for that type of water. There are a lot of videos on YouTube with the Ultra's. The Ultra's have an extra pair of flush rod holders on the sides, similar to the Outback. I also like that the rod pod hatch can rotate, keeping your electronics safe should you roll while trying to punch through or re-enter the breakers. Not familiar with the Thresher, but there was a 140 up for raffle at JBay. Really nice boat. The Profish Reload that reel-em-in has is also designed for that type of water. The Bluewater Kayak Classic in Corpus Christi is a BTB tournament for kingfish, snapper, cobia, and they've gotten Viking to become a major sponsor. So I guess it would come down to what you like best. Doesn't seem like any of them would be a bad boat for BTB or multinight camping trips.

Oh, the Thresher 140 front hatch was over a molded bin. There wasn't access to inside the hull. That would limit the items you could take.
                Yea that's the only thing I don't like about the thresher. The bin area is big but you don't have much access at all to the inside of the hull.
                Zack
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                  And youve knocked out the Jackson Kraken? That is a signature boat of Mr Offshore himself, Jim Sammons.
                  I think the Kraken is a nice boat but I think an Ocean Kayak or a WS would be better suited for the kayak I'm looking for. For this kayak I want a very low center of gravity, and the Kraken seat is raised
                  Zack
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by Donsail68 View Post

Donnie
                    Oh absolutely. I'm keeping my fs12t for my home rivers. This kayak is exclusively for rough open water.
                    Zack
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
                      If your on facebook, look up Kayak Kevin. He uses a ultra 4.7 to kayak camp out of. Id shoot him a message he is usually very responsive and could give a lot of insight on the ocean kayaks.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                      Oh I'm a huge Kayak Kevin fan. Watching his videos is how I discovered the 4.7.
                      Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Love my Thresher!! You can paddle it if you want.
                        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                          I think the Kraken is a nice boat but I think an Ocean Kayak or a WS would be better suited for the kayak I'm looking for. For this kayak I want a very low center of gravity, and the Kraken seat is raised
                          You know that seat drops to a low position right? It also adjusts fore and aft depending on your load carrying.

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                            You know that seat drops to a low position right? It also adjusts fore and aft depending on your load carrying.
                            Yea even the lowest setting on the kraken is a little high for me. For this kayak I'm willing to sacrifice comfort for having as low a center of gravity as possible.
                            Zack
                            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Talking shorter versions, I have a Ultra 4.3, and actually won the 14 foot thresher last year at J-Bay, gave to my best friend real cheap! I've camped in my Ocean kayak Trident 11, on the Delaware river for two night trips the rod pod is open to inside of hull, packed that boat full ,tents , stove ,everything, I was amazed at what went inside the hull, The 4.3 has a bin in the center hatch, less storage and because of that awesome bow flair there is a tight fit at front hatch. I've paddled both and preferred the Ultra 4.3 over the Thresher11, seemed to paddle easier, also the Thresher is a lot heavier then the Ultra which weighs 68lbs.. I have a 2013 Ultra 4.3 made in New Zealand, I bought the New Zealand seat and also the hinges for the rod pod non-flip hatch and made one out of starboard, the flip hatch is I guess nice, but for surf entry I can unplug fishfinder and toss in hatch easily, leg room is huge improvement.
                              That said at the Chesapeake Bay at Kent Narrows the other year I went out when I shoud'nt have, by myself early in the morning, I was praying for the first twenty minutes before I realized what an animal the Ultra was, in my long journey to the center span, the boat handled almost everything to the point I was like a kid having fun, I did take about ten waves over the bow that hit me dead on in the chest and stopped the boat. That incredible bow flair and rocker on the boat made me a believer. People sell them to get peddle boats, but all say what a boat! I can send pictures of my hatch if you want later.......Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X