CHSP vs Indian River inlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP vs Indian River inlet

The girlfriend and I are headed over to DE next week for vacation and I was hoping to get some fishing in. I've never been to either CHSP or DSSP and was hoping someone could give me the skinny on camping there. I'm undecided if I'll bring the kayaks since it's mostly going to be a beach vacation kind of trip, but I'd like to do some shore/surf fishing there. Indian River inlet looks like a great place to fish. Are the camp sites and beaches there any good?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

It's a great camp site, renovated in 2014. Despite being under coastal highway I don't recall any traffic noise. The bridge has some nice blue mood lighting. It was not as crowded as henlopen or assateague. The inlet has a really strong current. Short walk to beach but I think you need to go to north side of inlet to surf fish, or drive a few miles south to seashore park. Not entirely sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zach
    Annapolis, MD
    Rudow's FishTalk Magazine
    Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
    Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13
    Old Town Topwater PDL 106
    Native Watercraft Redfish 10

Comment

Boths CHSP and the Shore are great places to fish. The inlet is great on the changing of tides. I do way more surf fishing than kayak fishing unfortunately and my favorite place to go is 3Rs just south of the inlet by maybe a couple of hundred yards. The Indian river inlet and bay are great places to go. Bay should be good for flounder in the kayak. Good luck!
      Jaryd

Corfton, Md

Ocean Kayak Prowler 15

Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Comment

From just the camping perspective, I like the CHSP a little more. It has some of the highest dunes on the Atlantic Seaboard, and the campsites are nestled into the dunes. Plus, the Park has a restored WWII Observation Tower, and a 16" artillery gun is in the process of being put back in place. The town of Lewes is very cool with galleries, museum, and great restaurants. Highly recommend Agaves it has great Mexican food and some of the best margaritas in the world.

Comment

I would recommend you keep your kayak as far away from the Indian River Inlet as you can. The current there is brutal and boat traffic can rival the beltway. Also Delaware is very particular about who can use their launches and IRI does not have great non ramp launch options.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            I would recommend you keep your kayak as far away from the Indian River Inlet as you can. The current there is brutal and boat traffic can rival the beltway.
            I could not agree more. IRI can be very dangerous, especially for small craft. Also, I second Hemingway's recommendation of Agave.
            Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            I would recommend you keep your kayak as far away from the Indian River Inlet as you can. The current there is brutal and boat traffic can rival the beltway. Also Delaware is very particular about who can use their launches and IRI does not have great non ramp launch options.

Viking Profish Reload
            Hobie Outback
            Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
            X