Good Information - New VA Cobia Regs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Information - New VA Cobia Regs

I know only a few people on this forum target cobia from a kayak, but for those that do, Virginia passed new regulations yesterday in response to the federal closure that is happening (in federal waters more than 3 miles out) on June 20th. VA was expected to follow suit with the feds, but in a 5-4 vote, they voted to keep the recreational fishery open until August 30th. This is a big victory for the recreational angler. Below are the new regulations beginning June 1st.

•1 cobia per angler 40 inches or greater total length.
    •Maximum of 2 cobia per vessel for all vessels, private, charter, and inspected vessels (head boats).
    •Only 1 of the 2 fish may be over 50 inches. (note you can have 2 fish between 40 and 50 inches)
    •Pier and surf fisherman 1 fish per person 40 inches or better.
    •Gaffing of cobia is prohibited.
    •Federal waters close June 20 (3 miles from shore).
    •Catch and release remains open and unlimited. Release citation may still be registered all year.
    •Season closes August 30.
    •Landing permits will be required for everyone that comes with mandatory reporting. If you fail to report or submit did not fish reports you risk not getting a permit the following year. If you don’t have a cobia permit and land a cobia while targeting other species (like flounder) you must obtain one online (for free) before bringing that cobia home.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I saw this and wondered if the no gaffing rule would be tough for kayakers

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I think it would. I had made a spear gaff and I can honestly say that if I hook into a 50 inch fish, its now getting hammer to the head. I am not about to bring that on board a alive. With that said, I would have to absolutely know its a keeper before I killed it.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Not really Ryan- the last thing I would want is to be beaten by my own gaff handle- using a Boga grip might be tough, too but it would get my vote over a gaff- Cobia are well known "nut so" fish going crazy when you put them in the boat- I would prefer to use a short rope through the gills tied to the side than bringing one on board my Outback- you know pretty quickly if you have a 40 inch fish or not- most Cobia I have caught are much bigger and average in the 50-60# range- rare to catch a small one- the main thing is don't try to land a green fish- In my opinion Cobia, the Brown Bomber- is the best tasting saltwater fish that swims...better than dolphin, speckled trout, flounder...just the best...and has anyone heard if they have showed up inside the Bay? This is the time of year for them to show- Might be time to head to Wallace's...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

They've been in the tidewater VA area for about two weeks. Black drum fisherman have been catching them on Latimer using peeler. Hopefully they are up even further by now. I'm going either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Gonna be crazy this weekend- I think I'll go from Dandy Point mid week and see what's going on

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post

•Landing permits will be required for everyone that comes with mandatory reporting. If you fail to report or submit did not fish reports you risk not getting a permit the following year. If you don’t have a cobia permit and land a cobia while targeting other species (like flounder) you must obtain one online (for free) before bringing that cobia home.
              Thanks for the info bro. I don't follow the last bullet point. So everyone who targets cobia must register or is this obligated to charters etc?

Thanks

-Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I am assuming it applies to everyone. I did a quick search and could not find a link to obtain a landing permit. The new regs do not take effect until June 1st, so maybe in the next couple of days they will post a link. Ill look a little more thoroughly later and if I find something, I'll post it up.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeah my search didn't turn anything up either. Thanks bro

-Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I'd assume it applies to everybody too. It sounds similar to the Spring Trophy permit everybody needs for stripers the first two weeks of May in VA; which also requires mandatory catch (or no catch) reporting.
                    Brian

Comment

Just got my cobia permit from VMRC website- for us kayak anglers we use the beach/pier permit...I had my old VMRC number but had to call them to get my address changed in their database- back in the day I had a VMRC permit for bluefin tuna over 300 pounds...you can register on the fishing forum to report your catches on-line...

Comment

I got my the other day too, but got the vessel one. I just put 'kayak' where it asked for vessel id number and it worked. Whatever...

I read it's voluntary this year and its encouraged to report catches.
                        Brian

Comment

Working...
                        X