Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shoes are recommended?

Hello All,

Wanted to get some feedback on what shoes most of you wear or recommend wearing when kayaking? Most of the time, I'd like to keep my feet as dry as possible, and using scupper plugs so that the water inside my sit on top is kept at a minimum. My sit on top is also a standing kayak so the ideal shoe would have some stellar grip.

Basically I'm looking for a pair of slip resistant restaurant shoes that are made for the avid kayak angler lol. No but really, any input from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-Yakcruisin
    -TimH

Perception Striker

Anything rubber! Anything with leather or FO leather will stink after several trips of getting wet. No matter what you do that stinks stays in them. I have some Keen water shoes that have a built up toe cap. Works great in the Yak and dries after getting on the water.

I wear the Crocs home to let my feet air-out and dry out some more. Lots of guys rock-the-Crocs.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

Depends on where I am going. But sometimes I use my muck boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same as Yak67 but in reverse, Crocs on the water, Keens on the way home.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I always leave the front two scupper holes open. I get a small amount of water sloshing around, but have protection against an unexpected wave or wake coming into the cockpit. I wear an old pair of running shoes that provide a comfortable fit, some cushioning, and pretty good traction. I never stand in my kayak, so that is not a criterion for me.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I never stand in my kayaks so deck traction is not a concern.

Old sneakers are my preferred choice. Unfortunately, I had an attack of cleaning diligence this winter and tossed my stock of worn sneakers in the trash.

I've been wearing my NRS neoprene kayak shoes without socks this spring. I use them in cold water over Kokatat pants. They're very comfortable but they hold water. As I walk back to my van it's like having a tiny bucket of water on each foot.

Last week, I bought a $5 pair of "water shoes" at Walmart. Mistake. The insoles came out after one trip.

I see lots of wet shoes on-line and in catalogs but I can't pull the trigger on them. Seems like an extravagant expense when I know sneakers work.

Crocs look functional. I may break down and buy a pair of them. Or maybe I'll go to Payless and get a $20 pair of sneakers.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

image.jpg

$20 From Costco..$32 on Speedo site. Same as the Columbia, Sperry, or elsewise.

They drain out the bottom!!!

Had Crocs, but when your feet are wet walking up a hill is a pain, feet always sliding, and slipping.

Comment

I wear Keens but you get some goofy looking tan lines on your feet.
                Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
                Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]19014[/ATTACH]

$20 From Costco..$32 on Speedo site. Same as the Columbia, Sperry, or elsewise.

They drain out the bottom!!!

Had Crocs, but when your feet are wet walking up a hill is a pain, feet always sliding, and slipping.
                  Looks like a great option.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a pair of Astral Brewer water shoes. I bought them for wet wading, but they are great for the yak as well. They dry fast and you only look slightly silly wearing them to a bar after.

http://www.amazon.com/Astral-Buoyanc.../dp/B00DBLI4V2

They are expensive, but they have great grip and I have hiked maybe 5-6 miles in them with little issue, though they are not really suited for that.
                    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                    Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Neoprene "surfing" booties have phenomenal grip and keep your feet warm in water up to 50deg.
                      During warmer temps, Crocs are the most practical option (IMO): 1. They have adequate ventilation holes to either allow air in or allow water out. 2. They have enough grip to hold you on a pitching deck, whether that be a kayak or an actual powerboat. 3. Crocs can be easily cleaned out if you happen to get sand/debris while walking down the beach or launching from shore. No hassle with Velcro or shoe laces, just slip your foot out of the shoe, dunk the Croc in debris-free water and slip it back on. 4. Crocs can double as your shower shoes if you happen to be combining a kayak trip with a camping trip, no need to pack an additional set of shower shoes. 5. Finally, Crocs float! If you have ever jumped into the water wearing your Crocs you will quickly notice your feet rising to the surface - a nice fringe (safety?) benefit.
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

i use the columbia water shoes, but man, do they smell after the first dunk!
                        sigpic

Comment

I like my dive booties. I forget the brand, but they're just the neoprene booties with zipper, and a thick rubber treaded bottom. They're nice because they don't really smell if you give them a good rinse, and they've got plenty of padding for unforeseen rocks around boat ramps/kayak launches.

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                            i use the columbia water shoes, but man, do they smell after the first dunk!
                            Keens have the same stink after being in the salt. Got to hose them off.
                            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I had a misadventure a week or so ago at South River Park and sunk past my knee trying a "shortcut" to avoid backtracking. I managed to free myself thankfully (who responds to "idiot caught in mud, the fire department or the coast guard?) but I foolishly left my boots in the car without washing them. The next morning the smell was unbelievable, even after I removed the boots I had to drive with my windows down for a while to air it out.
                              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                              X