Southern Maryland report- St. Mary's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Maryland report- St. Mary's

Had a quick trip down to Southern Maryland yesterday evening and an opportunity to fish with N3DAL1- Big white perch have showed up at all their usual places in southern Maryland- I caught mine using paddle tail baits on 1/8 oz jig heads...fishing in 6-7 feet of water- still some nice mid twenties rockfish hanging around rip rap at tide changes- right at dark the top water bite is on- white and orange bonk-a-donk works well for rockfish when you use the walking the dog retrieve technique...caught three over 20 inches- brought home 2 for dinner and a 10 inch white perch...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-21-2016, 06:43 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

nice ron......D3nali is on 'em

kf
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Way to represent SoMo Ron and D3nali. Keep knocking them down

Yak67

2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

So let's have a real white perch tournament- I like the idea especially after catching a fat 10 inch one the other night- I had it on regular light saltwater spinning tackle- not my usual white perch ultra light stuff and it gave a pretty good account of itself- it would have been a ball on UL...my little 430ssg Penn with 6 pound Stren on a 6' St. Croix Triumph light rod would have been perfect- and we had 4 CNRs so...the rays are back-

Comment

Glad to hear it! I got out for some shore fishing off the base Saturday morning and had some luck early. Had to weather the wind and rain but caught a 24" rockfish. Definitely agree about the skates, I gave up fishing Goose Creek after hooking two.

I'm hoping the weather improves this week so I can take the yak out in the opened portion of the Patuxent. I've been marking lots of bait there, but can't seem to hook up with any fish. I'd love to try live lining for some stripers but I'd be making it up as I go.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nothing to make up about live lining- Pretty basic fishing- sliding 1/2-3/4 oz. egg sinker on main line tied to barrel swivel 2-3 feet of 50-80# mono or Floro leader to 6/0-8/0 circle hook- hook the spot under the dorsal fin without hitting any bones and drop rig down behind pilings with current running on bridges, pylons, structure....when line starts running gently engage reel without striking to set circle hook- jerking to set the hook just loses a perfectly good live bait..

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X