Ramp rash, worth worrying about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
    It sounds like I just need to stop being lazy and just lug the cart around. If I can't get it to fit in the hatch then I am sure I can rig something to hold in in the rear behind my crate.

Romo's damage is an order of magnitude worse then mine, but it really does remind me how delicate these boats can be. I have some vague plans to swap my rudder control to the other side this summer, I will look into the Keelez as part of that project. Thanks for the input guys.
    I picked up one of the C-tugs with the SandTraks wheels. It does break down easily for storage, although I lash mine to the back of my kayak, most important to me is I can float my kayak over it cinching it down where I want it positioned for pulling the kayak out of the water. I will say I have picked up the standard wheels for use on harder surfaces. Just to mention I find it best if lashing to ones kayak to bungee between the wheels to insure the don't come off if the clips release.

Comment

I know that if I am too lazy to use my current scupperhole cart, I am never going to want to mess with straps. I am going to look at armoring the keel but I think really the answer for me, as it often seems to be, is "stop being lazy".
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I tried a scupper hole cart. The problem I had with mine was, it was too hard to take the cart off or put it back on my fully loaded kayak in the water for launching or retrieving. I find it much easier to put a strap one on prior to adding gear for launching, then float the kayak over it and strap it for retrieval.

Comment

bump on an old thread....

Anyone ever done something like this to get rid of light scratches:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La5MMWH1K60

On the yak keel I've seen people apply Gorilla Tape. Do people think this is a good idea?

smithmal
          smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
          Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
            I've thought about using a heat gun. After watching that video, I might test it out on an inconspicuous spot this weekend. As for gorilla tape, I use it. Its not a miracle cure, but it does help. My landing procedure is paddle as fast as I can into the ramp and slide as far as possible. The tape definitely saves some wear on the bow keel.
            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Encouraged by your post, I put a heat gun to a scratch on my Ultimate this afternoon. It worked somewhat -- not as well as it appeared to work on the kayak in the video. I can still see a line, but the scratch definitely lessened in severity.

As I posted when this thread first appeared, I take a preventative approach. I don't use tape or skid guards but I'm very cautious during transport, launching and leaving the water. Nevertheless, scratches happen. I just try to minimize them as best I can.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                I did put the KeelEZ on my new Outback LE, pricey but worth it. I always try to have a little water below when launching for the skid/slide factor. Some scratches are the norm for Yaks.

Yak67
                2015 Hobie PA-14
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Hey Yak67 I noticed you have a PA and an Outback. I have a PA and considered also getting an Outback. Which do you use most? Why? Thanks for any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                  bump on an old thread....

On the yak keel I've seen people apply Gorilla Tape. Do people think this is a good idea?

smithmal
                  I got a old scupper pro from a guy in northern Virginia that was beat to hell and I took the heat gun to it then sanded it down with a fine sander started with 200grit and worked my way up applying the heat gun at the start and at the end of the whole job. I will say it made a major difference in the appearance of the hull. I would have kept that kayak if it weren’t so sun faded, it was almost pink. Better to park ways them hold on to a yak you won’t use. But yes the heat gun will help with light scratches as long as you keep it moving. Focus to much on one area and that’s when you can damage the kayak. Also if you sand it down with the fine sand paper then hit it with the heat gun it will come out pretty smooth, not factory but it did help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                  X