Ramp rash, worth worrying about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramp rash, worth worrying about?

Despite only having my new yak out a few times, I am already noticing a good bit of rash from ramps/rough beach launches. Some are just surface scratches but there are a few that are deep enough to have little curls of plastic hanging off of them. Obviously I should just use a cart but given the limited storage on a Slayer 10, I don't want to carry it onboard, so at least for the final few feet into the water the boat is going to scrape.

Is this something I need to worry about and if so, is there anything like maybe rhino liner I can apply to protect the....keel maybe? I am not sure what the proper boat name for the downward projecting ridge that is inline with the rudder. I can grab a pic tonight if that would be more clear.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Ramp rash, worth worrying about?

I saw someone had a product called keeleaze on their kayak. It is some type of abrasion resistant material that is applied with a heat gun. If it looks like it will work for you that is probably your best bet.

I would avoid dragging on pavement as much as you can but it is what it is. Your either gonna scratch your boat and be at ease with it and enjoy fishing or you can be paranoid about it a have it weigh on your mind. I know which way I lean.

I bought one of those outback limited editions and it slid out of the bed of my truck onto the pavement first time out with it. If I was worried about it I would always be upset when I look at the boats bottoms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I would try and avoid dragging it at all costs. My tarpon is pretty beat up because of this and will need repairs by next season. This is why I got a moken 14 so I didn't have to think about it anymore. I believe I saw a video of a c-tug cart that would break down to store in the hull. Repeated dragging on those ramps will wear out your hull fast. I'd invest in something to protect it from dragging.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
      Tan-Tarpon 140
      Lime-Pelican Matrix
      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Some degree of scratching is inevitable when using a plastic kayak on hard ramps. If you drag the kayak repeatedly over long stretches of hard surface, eventually you will rub a hole through the keel such that the kayak will take on water. I did that on my very first kayak (Ocean Kayak Drifter). Occasional scratches may not look great but should not affect the integrity of the hull. When you go to sell the kayak, a heavily scratched boat will have a lower selling price than a lightly scratched boat.

Lovett88 is correct about the C-Tug cart. It breaks down into several pieces small enough to stow in your hatch. I use a C-Tug on my Slayer Propel 10, but always carry it back to my van before launching. I tow the kayak and all gear except the Propel Drive and the battery on the first trip. I then bring the cart back to the van and pick up the Propel and the battery. Those two items weigh ~30 lbs. I can tow the kayak much more easily without them on the cart.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I did put the KeelEZ on my new Outback LE, pricey but worth it. I always try to have a little water below when launching for the skid/slide factor. Some scratches are the norm for Yaks.

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-14
          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

If I cannot launch directly from my van at the water's edge, I wheel my kayaks to the water with a cart and keep the bottoms off the concrete and even off the sand as much as possible.

Recently I bought a new cart which I can easily attach to my kayak while it's floating. That's helpful when removing the kayak from the water. It literally takes seconds to slide it under the hull and to secure it -- on land or in water.

AE.jpg BE.jpg

The cart simply slides under the boat while it's afloat. The only negative is that I have to remove my rods from my crate because of the hoop of the cart that goes over the top of the kayak.

It works with both of my kayaks.

I store the cart in my van while I'm on the water, although it will fold up to carry onboard. It's easier for me to walk it back to the van rather than taking the time to fold it.

When I return to the launch I beach the kayak. I do that by getting out in 1 to 2 feet of water, even in winter. I never run the bow up on the beach or a ramp. I lift the bow and pull it to the beach or ramp and sit the bow gently on the ground and leave the stern in the water. Then I go to my van and get the cart. When I return I lift the bow and place it back in the water and attach the cart to the stern while the entire kayak is floating. Then I just pull the kayak from the water by the bow up the ramp or across the beach back to my van.

The cart saves a little ramp rash but it does require me to walk in the water usually up to my knees. And as I mentioned I have to remove the rods.

I still get scratches. They're inevitable in normal use. But I'd like to think I'm avoiding the repeated abnormal stresses that can lead to leaks.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Scratches are inevitable and the concern about them is a matter of degree. A cart is always a good idea, but at times, inconvenient. Only you can decide what you are willing to tolerate - either in effort in hauling or "patina" on your hull.

Extreme wear can have significant consequences. Check out Romo's recent post about repairs he had to perform.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...&highlight=DPS
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

It sounds like I just need to stop being lazy and just lug the cart around. If I can't get it to fit in the hatch then I am sure I can rig something to hold in in the rear behind my crate.

Romo's damage is an order of magnitude worse then mine, but it really does remind me how delicate these boats can be. I have some vague plans to swap my rudder control to the other side this summer, I will look into the Keelez as part of that project. Thanks for the input guys.
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I built up multiple layers of Goop on my keel for just this reason. Wasn't scratched terribly but could see future problems popping up if something wasn't done to protect the keel. I just kept adding layers to get about an overall thickness of 1/4 to 3/8 of a inch. Holds at least a season and sometimes closer to two. I tried the stick on keel guard and it did't work well for me. It's a easy, quick and cheap solution that will ease your mind and legitimate concerns.

Comment

I swear I'm losing it. I glanced at the post's header and thought I saw "rump rash" which got me thinking about the day I spent in a sit inside yak that had about an inch of water in the bottom………..

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                      I built up multiple layers of Goop on my keel for just this reason. Wasn't scratched terribly but could see future problems popping up if something wasn't done to protect the keel. I just kept adding layers to get about an overall thickness of 1/4 to 3/8 of a inch. Holds at least a season and sometimes closer to two. I tried the stick on keel guard and it did't work well for me. It's a easy, quick and cheap solution that will ease your mind and legitimate concerns.
                      That is an interesting idea, I was casually looking around for something like that. Did you prep the surface any before applying it?

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                      I swear I'm losing it. I glanced at the post's header and thought I saw "rump rash" which got me thinking about the day I spent in a sit inside yak that had about an inch of water in the bottom………..
                      When I was a stagehand we called it "gig butt" and I have be laid low by it many many times.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

My Jackson cuda 14 has a replaceable keel guard for just that purpose. If it wears down just un screw and put new one on.

I have try keel guard with some results but wears quickly. I am in the process of testing a product on the bow of my kayak for those rough ramp landings with some good results. The biggest question is how easy this product will be to remove and replace when it wears out. Will post when test completed.

Harry

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                          That is an interesting idea, I was casually looking around for something like that. Did you prep the surface any before applying it?
                          I just cleaned it up very well using some denatured alcohol and a little steel wool. It stays on very well and takes a year or so of abuse before I have to reapply.

Comment

I guess.. about three years ago.. I glued (goop) a piece of lawn hose to the nose of the keel. About 12inches. It has proved invaluable when on a hard surface I needed to drag the kayak. I can pick up the kayak so only dragging on the protected nose. A couple of times a year I put on some goop to the area that gets worn.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
                              I guess.. about three years ago.. I glued (goop) a piece of lawn hose to the nose of the keel. About 12inches. It has proved invaluable when on a hard surface I needed to drag the kayak. I can pick up the kayak so only dragging on the protected nose. A couple of times a year I put on some goop to the area that gets worn.
                              I like that idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X