Breaking carbon rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking carbon rods

I read a lot of reviews about rods- seems a common complaint on high dollar carbon fiber rods is they break under stress- I find that any rod can be broken if you high stick it and bring the rod past 90 degrees vertical and put most of the force on the tip...backbone is a term describing the action of the lower 2/3rds of a rod- I do not high stick rods- 60 degrees of angle is about the limit I put on any rod- High sticking a St. Croix, Gary Loomis, Star, or any other rod may get you a busted rod...it isn't the rods fault...it is misuse- so in the heat of a battle with a big fish, keep this thought in the back of your mind...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Your post made me curious and I decided to watch some videos of rods breaking, seems like all of the ones breaking on camera are either due to high sticking or just reeling in while the fish is taking line. Thankfully I haven't broken one of my rods while fishing. Thanks for helping me find this video, really helps me look at what not to do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anYI3uyJ2dU
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Watching the You Tube video- it is obvious and very clear that some of the rods breaking are cheap, inferior-made junk...but the fact of the matter is that even well made, high-quality rods can break under excess stress caused by improper use-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

One rod brand i have that can take extreme tip pressure is phenix, i have an ultra light i have mistakenly hooked rays with. When they decide to dive after being next to the yak sometimes its un avoidable to high stick, i have watched that rod tip bend 180 degrees around and keep on going. The rod isnt fiberglass, its carbon and extremely sensitive. Might be a brand worth looking into
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
        X