Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma!!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg want to attach these on my pro angler good idea or bad...wife said bad

Where do you typically fish and what do you fish for?

Comment

I've fished the susquehanna...and noticed how tired I was once I started to head back to the docks...I would probably be willing to go for bigger game if I had the motor....typically I fish for bass but really ill go after anything

Comment

Trolling motor is for the bow but I want to mount it on the back

Comment

If you are a "Bass Man" and stay shallow a lot, the power pole would be nice to anchor up with. The trolling motor for a PA-14 ??? How heavy battery are you going to need? look at some YouTube videos to get an idea.

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-14
          2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

I don't know what stretch of the susky you fish but up that river is generally rocky and shallow. A micro power pole might be pretty useful in that type of water. As for the trolling motor- think about a typical trip. How often do you bang a rock or a log? How many times would you do it if you added another 12 inches to your draft? Now imagine ever you time you do that busting your prop and/or bending your shaft. If you were fishing somewhere like a bay or ocean where there was zero chance of hitting bottom then yea a trolling motor would be awesome. I think you would also need to look at kayak specific trolling motors like torqeedos and bassyak kits unless you want to be adding a gigantic battery.
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

if you want a motorized boat, get a motorized boat - Used aluminum boat with 6-8hp off C/L would be ideal. I never understook the sheer joy of kayaking anyways (kinda lame fishing platform if you ask me - wet seat and feet, unstable, too little room, too slow, too hard to work rods behind boat - can't easily turn around and square-up - half twisted in neck/spine), dangerous (not easily seen on big water = smashed / too hard to avoid imminent collision due to slow yak).

Comment

Originally posted by justacanoe View Post
                if you want a motorized boat, get a motorized boat - Used aluminum boat with 6-8hp off C/L would be ideal. I never understook the sheer joy of kayaking anyways (kinda lame fishing platform if you ask me - wet seat and feet, unstable, too little room, too slow, too hard to work rods behind boat - can't easily turn around and square-up - half twisted in neck/spine), dangerous (not easily seen on big water = smashed / too hard to avoid imminent collision due to slow yak).

ummmmmm...none of those generalizations make any sense.

Comment

I wouldn't do the big trolling motor but as far as the power pole I assume your already aware hobie makes a mount kit specifically for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                  2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                  2015 Coosa HD
                  2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                  2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                    ummmmmm...none of those generalizations make any sense.
                    That's because he can't understook it.

No Justacanoe I don't want a power boat, I've already owned from 72' to 12' ones and am happy with my kayak, powered or not.

Ok now for the subject at hand. I fish the Susky regularly. One can get away with a trolling motor roughly up to around the Mill, then it can get tricky to not wise. I usually launch from Lapidum and keep mine mounted (side mount) if A. I think the wind may come up or B. the dam may not stick to the power schedule. I've been caught with both and it can get taxing. I like the side mount on my Feel Free so I can choose to mount and use it or not opposed to a semi-permanent rear mount so far. The thing with adding a trolling motor as mentioned is weight. Not trying to discourage you but you'll be adding 15- 21lbs just with the motor and an additional 50-80 lbs if using either a lead acid or AGM battery depending on the size and amp hours of the battery. Lugging the battery alone to take it off the kayak for loading or bringing out of the water is a chore in itself. I am selling my new 86ah marine AGM due to the weight and have changed to a 75ah Lithium Iron at 25lbs which should be a lot better but at a cost of $999.99 for the battery and $155.00 for a lithium charger. At 68 years old I like paddling and do that for the most part but I do like the option of power when I want to use it. I demoed peddling types but my knees just couldn't take much of it. Then here in MD you do need to register it at $2 for the title and 5% surcharge then it is no fee. Mine cost $95.00.

As far as a power pole I haven't used one as I find my anchor trolley with the Anchor Wizard has worked for me both shallow and the deeper areas I have been so far.

Comment

Instead of dropping a wad of cash on a power pole look into this very functional and less expensive alternative, the river stick at $299 it was way more sensible and works very well... http://www.berniesriverstick.com/
                      http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                      484-459-9863
                      If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                      *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

There's a guy I know that uses the Torqeedo rear mounted in the Susky around Harrisburg all the time. He has a stump jumper he had made on it so hitting rocks does not cause damage. I can contact him if you are considering a Torqeedo.

Comment

Power pole is worth the money for sure. If it were me i would look into getting that torqueedo that goes where the mirage drive goes.
                          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                          -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Originally posted by justacanoe View Post
                            I never understook the sheer joy of kayaking anyways (kinda lame fishing platform if you ask me - wet seat and feet, unstable, too little room, too slow, too hard to work rods behind boat - can't easily turn around and square-up - half twisted in neck/spine), dangerous (not easily seen on big water = smashed / too hard to avoid imminent collision due to slow yak).
                            Goodness gracious dear sir....
                            You post that on a kayak fishing forum..

Obviously you don't appreciated the sheer joy we have of "yak-ass," tired backs, and the many other esthetics's we share...

That just plain and simple, keep us going out there and out catching fish than many others.

And for me, well, it's not really all about catching fish. But I sure love coming home with dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                              I wouldn't do the big trolling motor but as far as the power pole I assume your already aware hobie makes a mount kit specifically for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              No I didn't know that I'll be looking into that but it looks like you have I room for a motor??

Comment

Working...
                              X