Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jonas Green Perch Fishing Trip, Week after next: Maybe Tue 24 May? Anyone interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green Perch Fishing Trip, Week after next: Maybe Tue 24 May? Anyone interested?

This site says that perch have just started to show up in the Severn: http://www.anglerssportcenter.com/an...port-05132016/

I cannot go out this week, but am thinking about the following week. Maybe Tuesday 24 May? I would take off from work around 12:00 PM. Be in the water no later than 2:00. Be out of the water around 7:00 PM?

Anyone interested in fishing with a new-be 60 year old guy?

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Stan,

Normally I would say yes, but I'll be fishing in Trap Pond that day.

I wish you much success.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Stan,

Normally I would say yes, but I'll be fishing in Trap Pond that day.

I wish you much success.

Mark: Hopefully we can team up later on. Also, I wish you great success as well.

Best Regards,
      Stan

Comment

Stan,

I can't join you, but just wanted to warn you about May 24 and 25: The Blue Angels will be doing an airshow over the Severn both days at 2 p.m. (Tuesday is the practice, Wednesday is the real thing.)

I usually take my sailboat out and anchor in the Severn for the show...so I can tell you that the boat traffic will be ridiculous. You don't want to try and fish in all that.

If you do go on either of those days, consider either early morning or late afternoon after the show ends. Many of the anchored boats should start clearing out by 3:30 p.m.

Be safe, and tight lines.

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
          This site says that perch have just started to show up in the Severn: http://www.anglerssportcenter.com/an...port-05132016/

Stan
          I don't doubt that some perch have shown up in the Severn -- I have heard of at least two persons who caught a few perch but I do not know where they were fishing. I do not believe they are abundant in their usual summertime spots yet. In the previous few years, I found Severn perch during the second week of May. This year I was unsuccessful into the third week of May. The water temps are still low (often below 60 deg) and the water is very clear (in part because the phytoplankton have not yet begun growing rapidly.

On Mon afternoon Mark and I cast to long stretches of shoreline in one Severn tributary. I was throwing a Woody's feather spinner. Yesterday morning I cast to shorelines in two other tributaries using a Bignose spinner. In more than 4 hours of fishing in normally productive spots, I had zero perch or pickerel bites. The two spinnerbaits I used are normally highly attractive to perch, but not this week.

Another consideration is a proliferation of submerged aquatic vegetation. There are at least two species of SAVs growing rapidly in the water now such that it is hard to get small lures to where the perch should be.

I don't want to discourage you from trying -- the perch will show up soon, and you could be the one to figure out where they are. Once the perch arrive, they will be here until Oct and offer lots of light tackle fun for kayak anglers.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John and sailandfish: Thanks so much! You guys saved me a wasted trip. I'll try again next week.

Best Regards,
            Stan

Comment

Working...
            X