Todays Meet & Greet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Meet & Greet

First thanks to Delaware Paddlesports for todays lunch. Enjoyed meeting fellow Yak fisherman as always. We had 2 launch locations today. Seems like the group (mine) that launched off the beach didn't do to well. Heard of a dink Striper and a bunch of Skates on bait. The group that launched near the Roosevelt inlet didn't seem to kill it but they did score some Flounder. Anyone have a report to give? "Moc" said he caught his in the canal. Were all the flounder in the canal near the inlet? I was wondering how to target flounder in future trips.
    WOOD DUCK 12

Is this the only report we're gonna get? Was it that slow? Hope everyone still had a great time. I'd love to see some pics.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Todays Meet & Greet

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
      Is this the only report we're gonna get? Was it that slow? Hope everyone still had a great time. I'd love to see some pics.

Fishing sucked but it was a beautiful day and Delaware Paddle Sports had free beer. That about sums it up.

I caught the dink striper on a paddle tail and I think yak scientist caught 14 skates. I covered 12.5 miles and aside from the striper no bites.
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Yeah 14 skates and 1 dogfish, as seen in this image. Was using fresh cut bunker as most of the reports and the tackle shop i went to suggested. Beautiful day though, would've been a real shame if it was crappy weather and crappy fishing. And DPS is an awesome place, great people indeed. Overall a good M&G, though I don't think a single bluefish was caught, many were seen snapping here and there but no big frenzies. Fishing could've been better, maybe in a few weeks it'll be great, though the bigger blues will probably have left by then.IMG_20160514_120352_935.jpg

Comment

Fishing Report

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
          I launched at CHSP because the map just looked like better opportunities to fish structure. I was really hoping to get into some big bluefish that I had heard about. That didn't happen. After about an 2 hours of paddling around, I decided to downsize my bait and hooks and I did catch on small flounder and 8 fish that I could not identify. I guy and a powerboat came over when he saw my repeated hookups, and told me that I was catching "kingfish." He said they were delicious. They didn't look delicious or like anything I wanted to eat.

On further investigation from my better informed snaggedline friends, I was catching "lingfish" also known as spotted hake. According to the internet, spotted hake (lingfish or lingcod) are pretty good tasting. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. I was trying to do some yak configurations while on the water and lost a couple things - parts of my rod holder, etc. over the side. After that adventure I decided no kayak rigging on the water. I didn't lose the gopro, but I didn't have the desire to try and set it up anymore. At any rate, all the fish were between 11 and 15 inches, and it was no secret when they took the bait which was small bucktails tipped with squid.

The water was great and it was a good trip overall.
          Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Unfortunately there isn't much to report. If we all chimed it I would bet we're all going to say the same thing. Weather was great, fishing was not . I launched from CHSP and after a few hours of no one catching, a few of us made the peddle over to Roosevelt Inlet. We heard keeper flounder were pulled from that area, but by time we made it over the tide was already slack. Close to 13 miles traveled and only managed a skate.

We had a late afternoon storm that cleared up in time for a pretty sick rainbow. I spent the night and planned to launch at the Inlet since the tide seemed better, but I woke up to a cold 50 degrees and blowing over 15mph. I fished a little from shore, but decided to pack it in and head home.

Maybe next time! I like the area and would like to come back again. It was great meeting and seeing you guys out there! And also big Thanks to DPS!

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0611.jpgIMG_0615.jpgIMG_0627.jpg
            Last edited by jsnyd86; 05-16-2016, 02:27 PM.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

I want to thank Delaware paddlesports for supplying lunch and an area for us to meet up

The water was very dirty with all the rain and outgoing tide. flounder, since they are sight feeders you need clearer water, that will be on the incoming tide but that was later in the day then we could fish. the best time is an incoming tide in the morning with a high tide around 10am.

What I saw landed in the inlet/canal.
              I had 2 flounder for the day a 5"er and a 19" keeper
              Corey had a 19' and ken kayak lost one off the kayak that was around the same size
              Coop landed a 21" weak fish
              moc had a undersize flounder
              We did see one of the bank fisherman catch a upper 20's flounder from the inlet in the same area we fished.

All of the fish came from the back/inside of the inlet where the canal and Roosevelt river begins in the holes and lumps that the swift tide/current creates.
              Most of us were using a tandem jig head rig with a gulp.

I would also like to thank every one that participated. We had a nice turn out. I also hope everyone had a good time even with the slow fishing

Comment

I could not say it any better, Jeff. A big shout out to Delaware Paddle Sports and the lunch and support they provided. It was great seeing old Snaggedliners and New. The Meet and Greets are not only a place to fish and share friendships, but it is a time for new kayakers to have the opportunity to visit other kayak launches that they may not have fished before. Thanks Jeff for stepping in and being the host for this Meet and Greet.

Fishing was slow in the canal as reported. My founder ended up at 14 inches. I caught him with a tandem rig tipped with Gulp Swimming Mullet. I did see a few flounders being caught from boats in addition to the ones that were reported earlier. The winds started to kick up after 12pm, so we started to head back to the ramp by 12:45pm. At least six different species were caught on this meet and greet.

A few of us decided to hang out and go fishing on Sunday, but as said earlier, we woke up to 50 degree temps, and 15 to 25 mph winds.... We decided to go and look at other potential kayak launch locations for fun, then after some food, we headed home.

I have some pics to post later tonight.
                Last edited by moc; 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Todays Meet & Greet

I pulled the photo of my magnificent catch off my camera tonight. I only took a picture because fishing was so bad I didn't think people would believe I caught anything.

I've caught a few stripers at CHSP and they have all been in the same spot I caught this one and all about the exact size of this one. I've only ever seen one striper caught in the surf there and even then it was only around 26". I don't know whether I'm bad luck or the area just isn't very conducive for stripers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by willf650; 05-17-2016, 09:25 PM.
                  1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                  2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                  2015 Coosa HD
                  2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                  2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Thanks for the reports, guys. Free beer makes it all worth it. Catching a dogfish would be cool. Had to Google lingfish. Creepy looking. Probably wouldn't eat them either, but wouldn't mind catching a few when the action is as slow as it was.
                    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

If you Youtube lingcod fishing, it's big time on the left coast. They are ugly fish with nasty teeth. Supposedly they taste great though.
                      Green Team
                      Future Beach 10' sit in - Lime Green
                      Ascend FS12T - Lime Green

Comment

The spotted hake (Urophycis regia), also known as ling cod is good to eat. They eat small crustaceans and minnows. For the fisherman, they like bloodworms, squid and fish bites. There is no Delaware creel limit. Cook it as you would do any fish in the Cod family.
                        Last edited by moc; 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM.

Comment

The terms "ling" and "ling cod" have been applied to various unrelated fish species. The small fish caught in Delaware was most likely a spotted hake (genus Urophycis), also called a ling cod. According to the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences, this species has a maximum length of 41 cm (16").

A popular (and tasty) gamefish in the Pacific Northwest is also called a ling cod (genus Ophiodon). These are much larger fish with a mouthful of scary teeth. I caught a few of them during a trip to Alaska in 2011 using heavy conventional stand-up tackle and more than a pound of lead to get to the bottom. A few photos are attached.

Alaska 054.jpg Alaska-day 3 019.jpg Alaska-day 3 020.jpg 2011 Alaska0047.JPG

Finally the great game fish known most often as cobia (genus Rachycentron) is also called regionally "ling" or "lemonfish".
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                          X