DBay Drum 5/12/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DBay Drum 5/12/16

Went through a lot of time, effort and money for this fish but it was all worth it. Black drum are may favorite fish to target from the kayak and each spring I'm thankful that there are even some left to catch. My buddy got 2 also. Of the 30 or so boats we were anchored near we saw quite a few caught and none ever get released. Couple that with the dire clam shortage (I had to go to NJ to get clams) and every year the chances for drum get slimmer. This is my 3rd year in a row getting at least one from the yak and hopefully I will have a couple more shots at a big boomer before the run is over.

Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Excellent! I love black drum fishing in the spring. I was hoping for a few myself yesterday but it just didn't happen.

What is the time frame for the run in the DE Bay? I know they are still smacking blackies off the surf in VA and I always assumed those fish were headed for DE Bay. More to come up that way, maybe?
    Brian

Comment

I love big (and small) drum. No matter what the color. Great job!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks guys this is very, very early for drum in the DE bay from my experience. We didn't really know if we'd get any yesterday. The full moon next week should be prime and it should be good through memorial day into the first week of June. The problem is the clam situation... Delaware tackle shops have the worst clam hookups! My next trips will be back to the jersey side of the bay. Right now my yak is getting a plastic weld at delaware paddle sports then we're planning on heading back out after this rain moves through to try one more time even if that means fishing into darkness. The long range forecast for next week isn't looking great right now so gonna try to get them while we can.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Is it only a clam bite? Dropping a hook full of sand fleas or half a crab wont get you a drum?
          Brian

Comment

I am jealous.

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I have caught them on sand fleas but I feel like the clams are superior. Crabs will definitely do the trick but they are expensive for the amount you get and the trash fish will pick them apart quick. My fishing sessions tend to be 8 hours+ so I need quantity. Clams also give you some great chum when you crack the shells and thrown them over.

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Is it only a clam bite? Dropping a hook full of sand fleas or half a crab wont get you a drum?

My YouTube Channel

Comment

So, jelly... I'm going to join you to bang on the drum one of these days...
                Have you check Asian markets for clams? I believe they sell them at the Lotte by me. That's where I normally by tog bait.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  So, jelly... I'm going to join you to bang on the drum one of these days...
                  Have you check Asian markets for clams? I believe they sell them at the Lotte by me. That's where I normally by tog bait.
                  Was going to suggest the same thing. The Asia grocery store also doubles as my bait shop!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I checked the asian grocery store around here and they wanted $1.50/clam which is a lot when you put 3-4 clams on at a time. I think next week with the full moon is gonna be a struggle to find clams so I might end up using sand fleas.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                      I checked the asian grocery store around here and they wanted $1.50/clam which is a lot when you put 3-4 clams on at a time. I think next week with the full moon is gonna be a struggle to find clams so I might end up using sand fleas.
                      Curious, how much do bait shops sell it for?

-Mustafa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

It varies pretty widely by shop but it is generally in the $50/bushel range. The bushels are a gigantic burlap bag filled with surf clams and most are 6 inches+ across. One bushel is good for two kayak anglers for an entire day of fishing. You gotta watch out for dead clams because they are no good and stink like you wouldn't believe. Some shops I swear throw the bushels around in their walk in coolers and all the shells break making the clams dead and worthless. I never pay before they bring out the clams so I can have a look first

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                          It varies pretty widely by shop but it is generally in the $50/bushel range. The bushels are a gigantic burlap bag filled with surf clams and most are 6 inches+ across. One bushel is good for two kayak anglers for an entire day of fishing. You gotta watch out for dead clams because they are no good and stink like you wouldn't believe. Some shops I swear throw the bushels around in their walk in coolers and all the shells break making the clams dead and worthless. I never pay before they bring out the clams so I can have a look first
                          Good to know. Clams and Black Drum are new to me.

I thought of you today as I was perusing in a restaurant supply warehouse. They were selling 100 clams for $25. I don't know the type or any specifics just that they were large and grey, but it sounds like a good deal based on the price you quoted up top.

-Mustafa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

just bumped into your friends video with you in it on youtube!
                            thought id share
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH0dzqzQJVY
                            Michael
                            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

sweet catch, congrats! love the vid
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X