Surf Report - 5/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Report - 5/12

My opportunities to get out and spend a few hours fishing have been very limited so far this spring. I've been out maybe 4 times so far this year; all of it surf fishing for just a couple hours after work, or real early on a weekend morning and home by mid-day. But I guess having your first child just 3 months ago, and mom starting back at work, will do that to your fishing schedule for awhile . Wouldn't trade it for anything either!

Well, yesterday I FINALLY took the kayak out and got it wet this spring. I saw the marine forecast was calling for a nice afternoon on the ocean so I took the couple peelers I had left over from last weekends surf fishing trip and pushed over the breakers. Surf fishing has been really good for black drum and stripers the last 2 weeks so the goal was to soak peelers on the backside of the bar and see what happens.

In typical fashion, I caught a half dozen skates and two big rays without much effort. But just about at dead low tide, and after bobbing in the surf for a couple hours, a decent fish finally came by and I put a 39" striper on the deck. Not much after that. Not even the skates were biting once the tide switched, so I packed it in happy to have finally gotten the kayak out.

Brian

That's a beautiful fish! I know fish eat everything, but kinda surprise a fish that big was interested in a peeler crab

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice bass! Everything loves peeler crabs
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Nice job taking advantage of your limited availability. If could do that every time you find a window, you would be a lucky man. Nice fish!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Good job, homie. See aren't you glad I couldn't go now?!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks all!

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            That's a beautiful fish! I know fish eat everything, but kinda surprise a fish that big was interested in a peeler crab

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
            Like Romo siad, everything eats peeler! And if you want a real surprise, put 3 or 4 jumbo sand fleas on a circle hook and cast out into the surf in the spring... you'd be surprised how many 35"+ stripers and big black drum will slurp them down.
            Brian

Comment

Good stuff Brian, that's a beauty! Looking forward to getting out with you soon ��

Comment

Nice fish man!

The fishing opportunities will increase as time goes on and before you know it, little one will be joining his daddy.
                Last edited by Shady; 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                X