No announcement yet.

White Perch tournament 7/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it was nice meeting some of you from here. I usually just do my own thing but should try to do more meet ups or tournaments haha. I need a fish finder too haha.
    Last edited by Dsmdave; 07-17-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WOOD YAK View Post
      Not sure where or how everyone catches the big perch. I haven't target WP much but thought I'd have fun trying. I registered and was fishing around 7:45. Caught about 20 all under 8", a couple small rockfish and a half decent crocker on the small crank bait I was using. Then once again a surprise Rock, kayak in 1.5 feet of water casting to a downed tree. Was mostly admiring the fact that I didn't plant it in the branches when BAM a 23" Rock hit and screamed the drag out for a good 5 seconds. Managed to land it with 6 pound mono test took a quick measurement and released him. That made my day!
      Yeah, shallow water keeper rockfish....seems to be the pattern this year

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Im glad we all had a good experience. Next time we will have our own division in the main tournament. Meaning the entry money will go to kayak fishermen.i heard of some of the boats heading all the way to the 301 bridge!
        Native Watercraft Pro Staff
        2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
        33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
        2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Kevin- I had two rock on UL spinners for perch one was 18 1/2" and the other was 19 3/4"...had one Rockfish on a KVD UL square bill crankbait that ran 50 yards of line off the reel, jumped and threw the tiny hooks...had this been a Rockfish tourney...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            Actually, this is not unusual. White perch and striped bass are members of the same fish family -- Monrone.

The white perch's scientific name (Morone Americana) literally means American bass. White perch are not perch.

The striper's scientific name (Morone Saxitilis) means bass that lives among rocks.

They often swim together in the shallows and respond to the same lures. I've even caught white perch on top water flies like their larger striper relatives. It doesn't happen often but white perch will come up sometimes.

A.JPG

And every year while fishing light tackle for white perch I occasionally catch decent stripers. Here are two from this year:

P1010784.jpg A.jpg

So make sure you tie your perch lures on tight. Stripers often are hanging around their smaller brethren.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X