5 years-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 years-

As a senior, I got into kayak fishing late in life- most of my fishing was done from boats, surf and piers...It has been five years in March when I first got into kayak fishing and joined the Snaggedline community- have to say it was the smartest thing I did- friendly, helpful, informative, honest with no agenda to push...I have tried my best to do the same with new folks on the forum...I have learned a lot- hardest thing for me was adjusting to being at the water level casting and learning about working lures properly sitting... the longer I kayak fish, the less I carry, the more I pre-rig rods and swap out outfits instead of changing lures- I simpilfly my kayak with less stuff- a few essential tools- anchor trolley, some really good rod holders up front, combination GPS/FF and of course your personal safety gear...I try to find a fishing buddy when I go- not always successful, but I tell my wife my destination and probable return time- and I carry a waterproof cased cell phone- this year I am finally getting rid of the milk crate and replacing it with a purpose built kayak gear bag with rod holders- the crate served it purpose but I find things fell through the openings...started out paddle yaking before turning to the dark side...Hobie Mirage drive...best decision I made was getting my Outback- in my opinion the best all-around fishing kayak- hands free allows you so much more versatility in fishing- and your legs are much stronger than your arms- when you need to get in from threatening weather, you will appreciate the genius who designed the drive...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-10-2016, 07:04 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    As a senior, I got into kayak fishing late in life- most of my fishing was done from boats, surf and piers...It has been five years in March when I first got into kayak fishing and joined the Snaggedline community- have to say it was the smartest thing I did- friendly, helpful, informative, honest with no agenda to push...I have tried my best to do the same with new folks on the forum...I have learned a lot- hardest thing for me was adjusting to being at the water level casting and learning about working lures properly sitting... the longer I kayak fish, the less I carry, the more I pre-rig rods and swap out outfits instead of changing lures- I simpilfly my kayak with less stuff- a few essential tools- anchor trolley, some really good rod holders up front, combination GPS/FF and of course your personal safety gear...I try to find a fishing buddy when I go- not always successful, but I tell my wife my destination and probable return time- and I carry a waterproof cased cell phone- this year I am finally getting rid of the milk crate and replacing it with a purpose built kayak gear bag with rod holders- the crate served it purpose but I find things fell through the openings...started out paddle yaking before turning to the dark side...Hobie Mirage drive...best decision I made was getting my Outback- in my opinion the best all-around fishing kayak- hands free allows you so much more versatility in fishing- and your legs are much stronger than your arms- when you need to get in from threatening weather, you will appreciate the genius who designed the drive...
    I tend to find myself only basic gear as well. Dont want to be paddling around with gear i wont use. I am always fishing southern maryland, glad to join you anyday.
    Native Watercraft Pro Staff
    2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
    33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
    2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I can relate to your post. This is my fourth year as a kayak angler. Snaggedline has been very instructive and most important it has introduced me to good friends, not just acquaintances, who share my enthusiasm for the hobby. I have learned much from them despite being an experienced angler before ever sitting in a kayak.

Like you I have reduced what I carry over the years. I think most kayak anglers go through a similar evolution. In the beginning we let enthusiasm overcome logic. We think we need everything. Then experience takes over and we find that less is indeed more.

One difference from your story is that I started on the dark side with a Hobie Revolution, a wonderful seaworthy boat that has carried me over 1000 miles in the Bay and other waters. Hundreds of fish have come over its gunnels and more are sure to follow.

However, I recently added a light-weight paddle kayak to my "fleet". As much as I enjoy pedaling the Revo, I also enjoy paddling. It takes me back to the basics of my youth when I paddled an Old Town canoe with one rod on board. Sometimes it's fun to keep it simple -- no pedals, no electronics, no fancy rigging. Just a simple boat and my knowledge of the water.

So, as I fish my way through retirement, I am very appreciative of the community of like-minded people who post here and my good kayaing friends I have met through this site. My life has been enriched by my love of fishing and those here who enjoy it with me.
      Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2016, 08:11 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

As a senior, I got into kayak fishing late in life- [snip] ....
        the longer I kayak fish, the less I carry, ......[snip].....
        ..started out paddle yaking before turning to the dark side...Hobie Mirage drive...best decision I made was getting my Outback- ...
        Great points, thanks. I turned a senior this year (I am 60). I have not fished much, so am learning everything. I still carry too much stuff and paddle. Hopefully, I'll catch up to you one day.
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I'll be coming up on 5 years myself this summer since I joined here and started getting more serious about kayak fishing. I'd pretty much echo everything you've said. Getting a kayak was one of the best decisions I've made! It's put me on some fantastic fish, made some great memories, has taken me to some beautiful locations, and has been the catalyst for meeting some new fishing buddies!

I'm still paddling away on my original second hand boat I picked up off of Craigslist for just a couple hundred bucks; a yellow OK Prowler 13 better known as the 'banana hammock' Despite some of it's limitations, its a simple, electronic free, no hassle kayak that has gotten me everywhere I've wanted to go so far. It fits my personality well

Here is to another 5 more years and then some!
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X