Penn Spinning Reels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Spinning Reels

I'm jumping off the Shimano train...company keeps changing model reels then not providing long term parts supplies- Stradix spinning reel is so hard to keep up with- seems to change every year, so I needed a new reel for light salt water lure tossing- I love conventional reels and have a stable full, but at night trying to cast 1/4 oz or lighter lures conventional casting outfit is not the most user friendly, especially in windy conditions...so I looked hard at options other than Shimano- (I have three older model Stradix reels)...after much research looking at Diawa Saltist and Abu Revos...I settled on a Penn Clash 3000- put it on a Castaway G-2 medium action 7' one piece rod...and loaded it with 200 yards of 20 # orginal Berkley Fireline- should be a near perfect outfit for tossing 1/2 oz. 52M Mirrolures and 5/8 oz Top Dogs...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Penn has stepped up their game in terms of quality. I just picked up another battle to throw around plugs and topwater. My last one has been dunked and abused and i've never had to take it apart.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Couldn't agree more about parts availability. I'm not sure if its just the supplier chain or a plan by Shimano, but it's a pain to get parts. Penn parts are easy to source, and you can be a novice to disassemble and repair. Between Scotts B&T and Alan Tani's site, you can rebuild a reel in just a few clicks and a little time. This winter i rebuilt a 710z/5500SS that were ebay steals. All they needed was a 2 dollar bail spring and i was back in business. Ended up modifying the 710z to a bailess using a mitchell 306 pum, and I'm chroming it since the old paint was pretty beat up.

Seems like the only bum Penn has released recently is the Captiva. Of course, I have the CV 5000. The reel feels smooth as butter, except when hooking up with anything bigger than a kingfish/perch and you can feel the reel twist. At some point I want to pick up a ssv for live lining.

Comment

+1 On the Penn Battles- Truly tough and utilitarian. I have heard good things about the clash from my fishing partner.

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14
        2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

My only criticsim is the country of orgin is Communist China- the 3000 Clash is a very lightweight reel for a Penn...I have had a bunch of Penn's over the decades and none could be called light weight- this one can- even fully loaded with 200 yards of 20# Fireline it is less than a pound...on the G2 Castaway 7'-0" medium rod the entire outfit is very light and feels really good in the hand- I'll let you know how it does fishing if I can get the weather to cooperate any time soon...looking at the tackle on Gulf coast light tackle charters for redfish and speckled trout- one Louisiana charter skipper has 6 Penn Battle 3000 reels mounted on Penn Legion 815S70 rods for his customers use...not a bad endorsement...
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-12-2016, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Penn battle II are tough for sure, i love my revo but need something bigger. Will post up my lj3 for sale here soon
            Native Watercraft Pro Staff
            2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
            33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
            2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I have 4 Penn reels and I love them . You wont be disappointed.

Comment

Spur of the moment trip yesterday evening- had to give the Clash 3000 a decent work out and see how it would perform- Wow! Just plain old fashion wow! Love the new light tackle lure outfit- drag is really good, smooth but powerful- caught a couple of dozen stripers right at dark- best two were 28 and 31 inches- no keepers but had one that screamed the reel before pulling the hooks that I know was well over 35 inches- the fish were focused on one lure- tried everything in the tackle bag but 90% were caught on one lure, and only one color of the lure...strange- it was as if there were no fish until I threw this particular lure then they hit it every cast...had one really strong fish pull off then a second fish (28 inches) ate the lure right at the kayak as I was retrieving it for another cast...really happy with the Castaway rod and the reel- darn near perfect combination- the Fireline performed great- no wind knots, no tangles, just like mono only better...

Comment

Well.... what was the lure?! Glad you liked the penn. I gave my 4500 SSVLL a workout yesterday too

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Spur of the moment trip yesterday evening- had to give the Clash 3000 a decent work out and see how it would perform- Wow! Just plain old fashion wow! Love the new light tackle lure outfit- drag is really good, smooth but powerful- caught a couple of dozen stripers right at dark- best two were 28 and 31 inches- no keepers but had one that screamed the reel before pulling the hooks that I know was well over 35 inches- the fish were focused on one lure- tried everything in the tackle bag but 90% were caught on one lure, and only one color of the lure...strange- it was as if there were no fish until I threw this particular lure then they hit it every cast...had one really strong fish pull off then a second fish (28 inches) ate the lure right at the kayak as I was retrieving it for another cast...really happy with the Castaway rod and the reel- darn near perfect combination- the Fireline performed great- no wind knots, no tangles, just like mono only better...
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

XR10 Xrap- I spent two hours today changing all the treble hooks on all my XRaps- I threw away all the factory hooks and replaced every single one (13 XRaps) with Eagle Claw 4X Lazer treble hooks-the biggest fish I had on last evening bent the hook...
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Sunday I took a trip down south to Greentop and picked up 2 Penn 7' Regiment spinning rods to pair up with the 3000 Clash and my Shimano Stradix 4000- Thursday afternoon I took the 45 mile road trip down to St. Mary's county for an evening fishing...I put the Stradix 2500 on the Castaway- anyway gave everything a hard work out by hooking several CNRs...and two keeper rock fish I brought home for dinner- I caught one 23 inch rock that had a big lesion/sore near its vent that I decided not to keep- got to say the Penn clash is lighter and smoother than my Stradix reels- it's gears are smooth like glass- reeling the Stradix is rougher under the load of fighting a 20 inch fish and CNRs...reeling the Clash under a heavy load is really nice- the CNC cut gear train is as advertised...and the Penn Regiment rods are nice, too...very light, fast tip yet with plenty of backbone for the CNRs...
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X