FT. Smallwood rpt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT. Smallwood rpt

Thanks to the Snagged team for speaking at the N.VA CCA meeting this past week. Best crowd in years. What did I learn? I do need to set a goal for acquiring a Hobie. I also need to travel more and get out to some new places with the yak. The experienced folks all seem to be yaking out of the region.

I decided to hit the falling tide & launch from Ft. Smallwood on 5/7 Sat. I’m not hardcore yet, so I don’t have a fish finder, but I know the area from the boat. I decided to paddle troll with a small 4 arm umbrella rig, and a 2nd rod with a li’l Jimy with a twisty tail. Started out with several umbrella snags before I could set the right distance. Started out a little after 8, and got a fat 21 a little before 10am on the umbrella rig. Nailed a 23 about 30 mins later on the jimy.

Lost all wind, current, but kept watching some birds a ways out near the channel. I couldn’t resist & went for them. Found plenty of glass minnows jumping, and some larger bait breaking the surface. I worked around it for 30 mins and only picked up small rock. It was cool to see. I would agree if I was in the boat probably would have gone past it. Met another yak guy John while out…yak folks sure beat the heck out of trollers. We were both out for about 4 hrs. I fish over 200 hours each year on the boat, going to try and cut that down so I can yak it more this year.
    Thanks, Dave
    23 yak 5.7.jpg

I am sure I speak for many here when I applaud your thinking of more yak time. It is a wonderful way to fish, and highly addicting!

Where you throwing topwater at the birds? The bigger fish will usually hang out under the frenzy with the smaller fish stirring things up on top.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I had a plug with me, probably would have been a good idea....but I just stayed with the troll hopeful that something bigger was deeper and around the edges. I also need to figure out how to take a 3rd rod along for casting. I'm thinking that more time yaking will get me to slow down and think more while fishing. Adjust & adapt can be a lost skill after being at it for a while.
      Thanks, Dave

Comment

Dave it was nice meeting you last week at the CCA event! It was definitely a great crowd and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the talk! Sounds like you're doing alright without a fish finder but if you want to jig then you may want to put one on.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X