Favorite super line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite super line?

Been a while since we talked about line- lots of development in fishing lines- Power Pro Slick, Diawa, PE, Cabela's Rip Chord Pro, Spyder Wire...for spinning reels I don't believe anything can touch the orginal Berkley Fireline...and yeah, I know it is fused not braid...but still a super line and I rarely get wind knots or tip wraps with Fireline- great strength to diameter- one third thinner than comparable monofilament- good abrasion resistance...what is your favorite super line?

One problem I have noticed lately is that "crafters" have adopted the original Fireline for beading...and buy it in huge quantities making finding exactly what you want sometimes difficult, so I had to go on the INTERNET and order a 300 yard spool of 20 for my Clash 3000 reel and all they had in stock was smoke...I like the flame green for visibility...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-08-2016, 07:45 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

i run Sufix 832 in 30 pound test in the low vis green color on all my trolling rigs. and when i was on the west coast pitchin and flippin for big largemouth i ran the same line but in 50 pound test or higher. never had any issues with it at all.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

One and only super line for me has been Fireline. I use both flame green and smoke about equally, both have their advantages.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I like sufix 832 the best. I avoid spyder wire like the plague. Never had good results with it.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I'm partial to the Sufix Performance Braid in neon orange. It's much easier to see and the color, with a leader, doesn't seem to affect the fish.
          My experience with Fireline was that after a while it gets "fuzzy."

Comment

I converted from mono to braid at the advice and urging of my fishing buddies.

I noticed the different “feel” of braid immediately. It was indeed much more sensitive than mono and had virtually no elasticity on hookups – something I had become very accustomed as a frequent fly fisherman. With mono leaders and a long wispy rod a large fish on the fly can feel like it’s on a rubber band.

Anyway, this spring after a frustrating year of trying I finally removed braid from one of my reels. I have a Mitchell 308X Gold reel that I purchased in the early 1990s before braid was common. It has been a workhorse for those years catching everything from freshwater bass to stripers. To this day it remains as smooth and quiet as the day I purchased it. It’s my favorite spinning reel.

A.jpg

However, I could not stop wind knots from developing on the reel with braid. Wind knots with braid are often a misnomer. They’re not caused by wind as much as by the line not engaging with the bail. I did everything I could manually to avoid the problem. I closed the bail with my hand and made sure the line was engaged with the roller before winding. Still on most trips, I’d get the dreaded wind knot. The flaccid braid would slip out of the roller and would wrap in tight curls in front of my spool during the retrieve. Talk about frustrating!

I believe the roller on the reel is the culprit:

B.jpg

It will not reliably hold the limp braid or even braid with moderate tension, like during the retrieve of a lure.

After a pickerel outing this spring and having one too many wind knots I re-spooled the Mitchell with mono.

I’m certain this is not a routine problem. My other spinning reels, mostly Pfluegers, are newer and clearly were made with braid in mind. They work fine with it. I notice their rollers are smaller and tapered and hold the braid well. The old Mitchell is the only reel I own that would not accept braid.

I am a committed braid convert by the way. I have Power Pro on each of my other spinning and baitcast reels. But in order to continue using my reliable Mitchell 308 I reverted to mono.
            Last edited by Mark; 05-08-2016, 10:23 AM.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Tried 10lb PP super slick on one of my spinning rods the year. I'll keep it on there for awhile but after that I'm going back to 8lb mono. I love PP but I'm really not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Zack
              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

One of the big selling points is the cost vs. longevity of the line- size able investment into filling a spool- you see a lot of folks putting cheap mono to partially fill a spool followed by a top shot of braid...not a bad idea for kayakers who can follow a big fish when getting stripped or spooled...being old school, I just fill the spool with the same line top to bottom...200 yards of Fireline on the reel is about $25-$30.00....
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I just re spooled a few rods/reels with Spider Wire Stealth camo!(was PP) I am very happy with it. I made sure not to over spool-I believe its the main cause for wind knots.

For mono- Suffix
                  Flouro- P Line

Dont know why-just do!

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                    Tried 10lb PP super slick on one of my spinning rods the year. I'll keep it on there for awhile but after that I'm going back to 8lb mono. I love PP but I'm really not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    You have to watch your rod to the line to the weight being casted, otherwise wind knots can happen quick. Thats the secret
                    Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                    2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                    33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                    2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                      One of the big selling points is the cost vs. longevity of the line- size able investment into filling a spool- you see a lot of folks putting cheap mono to partially fill a spool followed by a top shot of braid...not a bad idea for kayakers who can follow a big fish when getting stripped or spooled...being old school, I just fill the spool with the same line top to bottom...200 yards of Fireline on the reel is about $25-$30.00....
                      Never heard of that, haha. One line with a leader works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Egriger View Post
                        I just re spooled a few rods/reels with Spider Wire Stealth camo!(was PP) I am very happy with it. I made sure not to over spool-I believe its the main cause for wind knots.

For mono- Suffix
                        Flouro- P Line

Dont know why-just do!
                        I just tried that line on my friends set up yesterday. 10 lb line on a ultra light rod with a 3/8 oz head was the ticket for a schoolie of rockfish we ran into yesterday

Comment

I use seaguar's smackdown braid. Have bot found it locally, but its worth the wait from shipping. Ive never had any wind knots, nor any other problems. If you think the super slick line is smooth, give smackdown a try and i guarantee you will love it

Comment

I've been transitioning all my reels to kastking braid. So far so good. You can buy a spool of 500yards for $20 off of Amazon.
                            Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

+1 on the Kast King. I swapped some old power pro to 20lb kast King last year at JBay. The stuff we got in the captains bag. No problems yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X