5/7 Bay Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/7 Bay Bridge

Launched from sandy point this morning and marked thousands of fish, from 7am to 3pm. Didn't see much action as winds were strong in the morning but get pretty pleasant by early afternoon.
    Trolled, jigged and did some fly fishing throughout the day.
    Caught one 20"+ on a fly I tied yesterday. Was a white and olive hollow fleye under the bridge at outgoing tide. First striper on the fly and the plus was it was one of mine. Hope you guys did well and hope this helps.
    Heard the bite was slow by the bridge today, maybe bass are keyed in on a different bait?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Nice job on the fly and the catch.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks Mark. After hearing on the radio how much trouble people were having at the bridge made me think to change it up. Heard of a Cinder worm hatch down south maybe these stripers saw those earlier this week and their memory is strong? Just keeps you on your toes.

Comment

Wise choice.

I've seen cinder fly patterns on-line but never tied or fished one.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Really simple to tie. I think I found a video by tightlines on YouTube. Just deer body hair and a dubbing loop with some sparkle dubbing. I should have tried it out yesterday but that thought eluded me til today.

Comment

Nothing more rewarding than catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Comment

I like the looks of that fly, nice job. Seems to me a red woolly bugger would be ideal for a cinder worm, and more durable than some of the other patterns I've seen. Looks like I need to add a few of those to my box from the reports I've been reading recently.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Catching stripers on a fly rod sounds fun. Nice going. I'm thinking about breaking out the fly rod soon with floating foam spiders for panfish and largemouths/smallmouths.

Comment

Thanks Virus and Dan. This is the first year taking the fly to the salt and I'm really liking it. Took up the freshwater fly about 5 years ago and got a tying vise for Christmas. The fly above takes some heavy petting to get the hair to appear as it does. Otherwise it flares too much for my liking. It's become a real obsession but I try to bring a spinning rod when I'm on the kayak. Old standbys are hard to let go.

Comment

Working...
                  X