Talk to me about insurance for new canoe trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about insurance for new canoe trailer

Hey guys… Talk to me about small trailer insurance. I haven't a clue. I just bought a small trailer to haul my 16’ Oldtown canoe. It’s a Trailex, model SUT-220-S (See pic). My tow vehicle is a 2014 Subaru Forester and it is fully insured by USSA. BTW, I live in Maryland. I’m getting conflicting answers about insurance from USSA, family and friends.

Question: Will trailer insurance be just a free ad-on to my car insurance, or will it cost extra? Or should the trailer have its own separate policy?

I’ve used small trailers for years to haul firewood and driveway gravel on my land but they were never registered or insured and never drove on public roads.

Trailer - B.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Just to be clear: I'm not a lawyer, cpa, dr, and so on... I have geico car ins. Anything attached to my vehicle is covered by my car insurance. However if the trailer somehow disconnects from the car and cause damage to others, the car insurance will not cover it. If you store your trailer on your property, your car insurance will not cover it. Your home insurance policy may. At least that's my understanding.

Donnie
    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

one more thing: if the trailer is a kit and you put it together, it needs to be inspected. If bought brand new from a dealership, it does not need to be inspected. Either way, the trailer needs to have its own license plate.

Donnie
      Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
      2013 Cuda 12

Comment

I too live in MD and have Geico. I called them a few years back when I registered the trailer for my SeaPro. They told me it was covered under my auto policy.
        I asked them what information they needed. The answer was "none".

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
        2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
        Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I personally have car insurance, and i insured my kayak.. so regardless its almost always covered

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

spare tire is best insurance

Comment

........ It is covered by your car insurance while connected to the car but I think that's for liability. It's covered by homeowners when not but State Farm has a minimum $1000 deductible on homeowners.

I insure mine separately for everything.

Comment

Working...
              X