Are Boga Grips worth the price ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Boga Grips worth the price ?

I have lost several large stripers at the boat trying to get my $14.99 fish grips into the fishes mouth. I have not considered Boga because the style struck me as one that could potentially further damage the fishes mouth.

I have 2 questions?
    Is my assumption of damage valid?
    Are they worth the price?

I understand getting what you pay for, but these guys are 5x more expensive than some of seemingly similar design. I care less about having an internal scale than I do about a secure and safe connection.

Thoughts?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Are Boga Grips worth the price ?

I have both fish grips and bogas, and the fish grips stay at home every time. I don't know if they are worth the premium over the cheaper models since I've only used these, but I love them. I never noticed any damage to the fish and they are constantly getting hammered with salty water and never a spot of rust. That's my kind of tool, never needs maintenance & always works! I have mine attached to a t-reign retractor and the system works flawlessly.

Edit: and an added bonus, I always grab a fish with either my hands or the bogas, remove the hook, then throw the fish (picture worthy fish) immediately back in the water still attached to the boga. The fish can just swim there and the retractor keeps them close. While you're getting ready to take a picture or get out the measuring board, the fish can just hang out in the water reviving.
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 05-05-2016, 07:42 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      Edit: and an added bonus, I always grab a fish with either my hands or the bogas, remove the hook, then throw the fish (picture worthy fish) immediately back in the water still attached to the boga. The fish can just swim there and the retractor keeps them close. While you're getting ready to take a picture or get out the measuring board, the fish can just hang out in the water reviving.
      Thanks John. Do you attach the retractor to your PFD or the boat?
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I prefer attached to the boat, they make one with screws and one using a rail. One less thing to get tangled up in on a rescue re-entry. I'd also recommend getting a clip to hold them somewhere in place, YakAttack sells a package kit.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I never owned the real Boga Grips, but I did have two brands of small knockoff models. I used them for many years before buying the plastic Fish Grips. A year ago, I sold the metal grips because I was not using them any more -- I always took the plastic ones.

One thing to consider (in addition to cost) is how easily you can insert the jaws of the grip into the mouth of the fish. For stripers, with their large mouth, either one works well. For pickerel, I find it is difficult to use the plastic grips. I rarely bother with grips on pickerel anyway.

For most of the stripers I catch, I lip them with my thumb and remove the hook. If the fish is particularly long and I want a picture on the measuring board, I often insert the plastic Fish Grips to gain some additional control of the fish so it does not flop all over the kayak.

Many Boga Grip owners who fish on boats will attach a float to the handle in case the grip falls overboard.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't have actual Boga but I have used a set of $2X copies a friend has and I find them to be a little bit better than fish grips. The cheap copy is rusting however and I can't see getting more than a couple seasons out of them. Fish Grips would be allot nicer is they had some type of spring to hold them open.

I have picked up a set of Boga Grips at Cabelas and they are a noticeably better quality than the copies. If I was to purchase one I think I would buy the actual Boga Grip over the copy.

The only time I use the fish grips is when I have a fish with a mouth full of treble hooks so that part of the reason I haven't splurged on the Boga Grips yet.
            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

I have the smaller Boga grip for over 5 years. Use it all the time in the surf for bigger fish. Sand, salt, negligence has no effect. Wash it off and its good as new. On the yak I keep it tied to the seat and clip it on the side of my vest. Now all I need to do is catch big fish so I can give you the rest of the story.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

They are awesome, I have the middle size, think it goes to 30 lbs. I have handled a 51" cobia and 48" bull with it. The bull was revived on the grip and then measured and Photographed and then revived again for the final release. If you are always fishing for smaller species, I an sure the plastic are fine, but i don't think they would have ever gotten the job done on those two fish. The Boga will hold a much bigger fish than the scales will weigh. And yes, I installed a float first thing lol

Comment

http://www.lucidfishing.com/

these stainless grips are half the price of bogas.

Comment

I've used a boga style grip for awhile. I think it's made by Rapala or something. I upgraded to a Boga knockoff I got on ebay. So far so good, although I've had 2 stripers in the last couple of months where the lower lip was larger than the grip would open. I found that a little odd. I probably should have gotten the 60 lb version rather than the 40 pound, although I don't know if the opening is any larger.

I've never used the plastic grips. They've never appealed to me and they look clunky, but it looks like plenty of guys love 'em so they must have something going for them.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by sb220 View Post

Those maybe an excellent value, I have not see them or handled them. It is important to remember that not all stainless steel is created equal. A good way to know is to take a magnet with you to the shop, and if the magnet shows any attraction to the metal, then it will corrode. The Bogas are made in the USA, I could not find were the Lucids are made, but if them pass the magnet test, and feel well constructed, then I'd say go for 'em.

Comment

I have both. To me it all depends on the type of fish you are targeting. Bogas are good when you cannot easily get the fish grips on, for example; catfish tend to close their mouth everytime next to the kayak so the bogas come out. The fish grips are great for rockfish up to 35-38 max, the fish grip will not be able to hold the bottom lip. I had to use the fish grip on the side of the mouth on the 47 for that reason.
                        Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                        2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                        33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                        2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Originally posted by sb220 View Post

These look intriguing. Have you used them?
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                            These look intriguing. Have you used them?
                            They look good, never heard of them until this thread. Might get them
                            Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                            2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                            33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                            2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Had and lost both Boga and Lucid. Preferred the Lucid, especially the price. Painfully expensive losses, good learning experience for leashes, so now, just the plastic and they work just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X