Rewiring Yak to Run on 1 Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring Yak to Run on 1 Battery

Over the past few weeks I've been working on a livewell for my PA12--all is going well. As I was considering the additional power requirement, I decided it might be worthwhile to address some minor annoyances that I've encountered with electronics over the past few years--specifically the number of batteries I have to deal with. For example, I currently have a FF which runs on a battery, a YakAttack Visicarbon pole(it's own battery), the livewell (needs a battery) and headlamp (battery), my GoPro (battery) and cell phone (you guessed it, battery). If I wanted to spontaneously go night-fishing with my full load-out, that's no fewer than 6 individual batteries that need to be charged/prepped.

For that reason, I'm preparing to wire (almost) everything to a full size 36 amp hour battery. It seems I could easily run the livewell, some lights and the fishfinder on one battery for days on end. I intend to build a switch/fuse panel into a full sized battery case (sitting on the rear deck), and connect each individual component via plug. The fuse panel will also have a couple USB ports for charging the GoPro and cell phone. Building the fuse/switch panel into a battery box eliminates the need to cut into the yak, and will let me power everything by switch.

Anyone gone this route? What would be the best plug/connector/outlet type to use? I'd rather not have dongles coming out of the battery box--it would make more sense to have several outlet style plugs. I see 12v cigarette lighter outlets all over, but are they effective? Corrosion resistant? Etc.?
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

you could get away with running 2 batteries and still have less weight on board than 1, 36ah. run the phone charger, FF, and light pole on one battery and run the livewell, go pro, and headlamp on another. As far as corrosion they make a lubricant for these fittings to prevent it. (dielectric grease)
    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I'm doing the same thing. I have a lithium battery that fits perfectly under the seat. I found 2 prong Sae plugs for the equipment and some Sae plugs for mounting in the yak. I need to find some good wire hangers to string the wire under deck. I decided on plugs so I could change devices as I wanted to

Comment

Hanging it under the deck is key. I learned that the hard way. This overhaul is due to corroded wires that developed after being coiled on the bottom inside the hull, so this time around it will all be lifted out of the puddles with hangers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...hobie+livewell

This is my setup which is what you're describing minus the USB outlets. I've thought about adding some USB plugs, but I doubt I will due to the good chance they won't work after a few outings. Kayaks are especially tough on electrical systems no matter what precautions you take. I ended up replacing every switch on my kayak with premium sealed switches that are $20 a piece, and haven't had an issue since. Whatever you decide on, do not buy the cheapest option or you'll be buying it again soon.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
          X