Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flats- 4/30 Best day fishing from the Yak!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats- 4/30 Best day fishing from the Yak!!!!!!!

I haven't seen a good flats report in the past few weeks. Thankfully I have a few boater friends who fish the area pretty regularly, they keep me posted!

I fished Wednesday evening from 330 till 830, with MikeMike. We had a solid report that schoolies were hitting surface plugs everywhere, with the occasional pod of 30 to 35 inch fish moving off Carpenters Pt.-along the north east.

Mike and I set out trolling from Tydings park, right away Mike picked up a few shorts on a glow paddle tail and a sinking Yozuri. I trolled the typical xrap 12 and Yozuri crystal 3d, picking up a few shorts as well. Once we got the "fishing grounds" it was pretty evident these schoolies were active! Every back cast-setting up to troll received an instant smack. I quickly put away my trolling outfits and started casting a white Smack It Jr..........First cast- 3 blow ups! Second cast-Fish on...Third Cast-Fish on. That set the stage for our evening!

After about an hour. I got a call from an old friend(boater), he was on 25 inch plus fish. We high tailed it straight over.(Perry Point Hospital), set up a drift and immediately started catching fish! Mike got his first striper on a surface plug!

All in all, I picked up at least 50 fish. Mostly between 17 and 22 inches with a good handful of fish between 25 and 27 inches.

Sorry for the long post!!!!

Made it back out this Morning with Sparky. Fished from 5am till 9am. With the same results.

The flats close Tuesday. If your thinking about getting out, hopefully this will help push you over the edge!!! Yes there are a lot of boaters-most of them are respectful!

IMG_20160427_191041.jpg
    Last edited by Egriger; 04-30-2016, 11:22 AM.

Some days it all comes together!
    It makes up for the days when the skunk is on the prowl.
    Thanks fro a great report!

Comment

Nice!!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Good fishing with you this morning Ed, topwater was a blast! Even my bungee cord hanging off my kayak got quite a few blow ups. The topwater died off after mid morning but I picked up thirty schoolies close to launch on the troll.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice report and sounds like fun sounds like the flats was on fire this spring.

Comment

Congrats on a great day. Its a rare occasion it happens, but its good to hear that it still does on the flats.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I was out there Saturday, sorry I missed you and Sparky. I caught quite a few but all mine were under 20".

Comment

Fish shallow. Like 1.5' to 2.5' shallow. MUCH better grade of fish and tons of um. Got a 48# on a spook last week.
                  3' to 6' depth was all small fish.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

I am heading that way tomorrow. I hear the big girls have headed south. Any reports form yesterday or today?
                    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                      I am heading that way tomorrow. I hear the big girls have headed south. Any reports form yesterday or today?
                      I fished today out of Tydings today. Caught a bunch of Schoolies trolling, saw some fish breaking but no hits on the popper. All fish were caught on paddle tales. I didn't try fishing really shallow though ran out of time, still allot of fun though and perfect weather..
                      Last edited by mi327; 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM.
                      Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I was out there today from noon until ~4pm. I think I tallied 14 rock. The 3 largest were ~24". I could have caught more if I had kept trolling but I decided to play around with top water (1 fish) and jigging a bit (got a surprise channel cat) as well as looking for bigger fish. It was a blast.
                        24incher_web.jpgmissingeye_web.jpgdink2_web.jpgcat_web.jpg
                        Last edited by Crotalus; 05-02-2016, 08:55 PM.
                        Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Tough bite on the big ones tonight. High tide and sun came out. We managed a few but couldn't get the big ones to bite. They were there, still in the shallows. Saw plenty of big fish boils, they just weren't feeding tonight.
                          Native Slayer 12
                          Native Ultimate

Comment

Hopefully the last day will be a good one. Nice and overcast today.
                            Native Slayer 12
                            Native Ultimate

Comment

Working...
                            X