Feeling Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Blue

Two reports in one. Made two trips VA beach and found some blues.. Sizes ranged from 18" to 30"+. 20160429_071803.jpg20160429_063607.jpg20160429_083014.jpg20160423_102710.jpgsun.jpg

Back in the mid 70's and early 80's Bluefish were every where- really big Blues- I caught a 19 pound bluefish fishing for red drum with a Hatteras Heaver conventional surf outfit off the end of old Virginia Beach Steel pier one November night using half a jumping mullet impaled on a 10/0 English hook for bait and was pissed that it was a damn old bluefish instead of a 40 pound drum...we would use live 12-15 pound bluefish for shark fishing at the Chesapeake light...Mako sharks love them...and at the exact same time the Grey Trout were huge, too- 12-15 pound trout were common...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-01-2016, 07:57 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice catch!!!

Can't wait till they get closer! Where did you launch from?
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Great job Dao! Before I zoomed in on Sun's photo it looks like he is fishing in front of a convenience store.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          Great job Dao! Before I zoomed in on Sun's photo it looks like he is fishing in front of a convenience store.
          LOL! Yes it does!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

It looks you were in Rudee Inlet. Were you there in the morning of Apr 30 or Apr 29?

Here is my story yesterday Apr 30:
            I fished Wise Point, VA in the morning for flounder in the morning. I got skunked. It was too early for flounder.
            I was tired. Though I decided to fish for flounder in Rudee in the late afternoon (and night ).

When I arrived at the ramp, the most of the anglers were leaving. It was one of the bad days I heard. I patiently waited until fish moved in from the ocean. As usual, speck (speckled sea trout) and bluefish were mixed when they came in.
            I caught 0 flounder, 3 specks and 3 bluefish. One of the bluefish was 30 inches long. It was a rare large bluefish in Rudee Inlet

Fishing Log:

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
              It looks you were in Rudee Inlet. Were you there in the morning of Apr 30 or Apr 29?

Here is my story yesterday Apr 30:
              I fished Wise Point, VA in the morning for flounder in the morning. I got skunked. It was too early for flounder.
              I was tired. Though I decided to fish for flounder in Rudee in the late afternoon (and night ).

When I arrived at the ramp, the most of the anglers were leaving. It was one of the bad days I heard. I patiently waited until fish moved in from the ocean. As usual, speck (speckled sea trout) and bluefish were mixed when they came in.
              I caught 0 flounder, 3 specks and 3 bluefish. One of the bluefish was 30 inches long. It was a rare large bluefish in Rudee Inlet

Fishing Log:

Joe
              What time did you fish there Joe? Seems you're the only one having luck with specks [emoji4]

-Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Joe - great video I was in Rudee and hammered the blues but no specks... sadly I was after the specks. That's a great battle with that big blue on light gear. I was out there on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  What time did you fish there Joe? Seems you're the only one having luck with specks [emoji4]

I launched at around 4:30 PM Saturday. I fished until 9:10 PM. I think MirrOlure 52MR21 was the difference. Though the mirrOlure wasn't a good idea when landing bluefish at night. I got several cuts on my hand. That was why I gave up fishing when fish were biting.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-02-2016, 05:05 AM.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

That was fun catching the big blue. Next time we'll find the specks and flounders hopefully.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      I launched at around 4:30 PM Saturday. I fished until 9:10 PM. I think MirrOlure 52MR21 was the difference. Though the mirrOlure wasn't a good idea when landing bluefish at night. I got several cuts on my hand. That was why I gave up fishing when fish were biting.

Joe
                      My favorite Mirrolure (sinking- twitch bait) is the 77M-it is a deeper running bait and a bigger profile than the 52M- I change out the trebles for Lazer L774KU6 4X trebles- for me they seem much more effective and a much stronger hooks-I have had fish straighten out the factory hooks- also use some scotchbrite to rough up the belly to dull that area- seems to trigger more strikes...and nothing beats a Top Dog or she dog top water walk the dog bait...although the Bomber Bonk-a-Donk works pretty good...the 52M is good in shallower waters as the 77M is for 10' plus deep waters- my go-to colors are the red/white and #18 green back, silver scale sides and white bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        Back in the mid 70's and early 80's Bluefish were every where- really big Blues- I caught a 19 pound bluefish fishing for red drum with a Hatteras Heaver conventional surf outfit off the end of old Virginia Beach Steel pier one November night using half a jumping mullet impaled on a 10/0 English hook for bait and was pissed that it was a damn old bluefish instead of a 40 pound drum...we would use live 12-15 pound bluefish for shark fishing at the Chesapeake light...Mako sharks love them...and at the exact same time the Grey Trout were huge, too- 12-15 pound trout were common...
                        Ron, I also recall that era of large blues out of the lower Potomac and off Pt. Lookout in the early to mid 1980's. There were no limits and we caught 18-25 inch blues until our arms got too tired. John Veil remembers those days; six or eight of us went out of Schieble's on a charter.

It's funny how different species ebb and flow. Back then, there were virtually no stripers in the Bay, and then they slapped the 5 year moratorium on in 1985 which turned out to be a huge success. But I do wonder about the blues; there should be more of them, at least to the Bay Bridge. Anyone have any thoughts as to why they've receded for so long?

Comment

any of you guys heading down that way again this weekend? weather pending of course.
                          me and a couple friends will be heading down to kipto fri-sun to try our luck at flounders.. if they dont cooperate, hopefully we have some luck with the blues.
                          is it too early for bull reds?
                          Michael
                          2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
                          Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                            Ron, I also recall that era of large blues out of the lower Potomac and off Pt. Lookout in the early to mid 1980's. There were no limits and we caught 18-25 inch blues until our arms got too tired. John Veil remembers those days; six or eight of us went out of Schieble's on a charter.

It's funny how different species ebb and flow. Back then, there were virtually no stripers in the Bay, and then they slapped the 5 year moratorium on in 1985 which turned out to be a huge success. But I do wonder about the blues; there should be more of them, at least to the Bay Bridge. Anyone have any thoughts as to why they've receded for so long?
                            The glut of Bluefish and monster Grey Trout was something to behold- sometimes the schools were so big they covered a half a mile- thousands of gulls would be over the blues- then it just crashed

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post

OK guys, you have to be 60+ years old to understand these ... I am barely qualified... I cuaght may weakfish at 22-25" at around Radar Towers (Parker's Creek) then.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X