Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chirp

Hi All,
    Wanted to get you ALLS feedback on "CHIRP" Feature on FF. How important is it??? I mainly do River, Reservoir, and occasional Bay Fishing.

Is it a must have?
    I know the difference could be a few hundred, depending on Model.

Appreciate feedback.

Cheers!

I researched this a bit 18 months or so ago and concluded it wouldn't make much of a difference with smaller FFs fishing at typical depths less than 30-40 ft.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Comment

I researched as well & my previous lowrance was chirpless.

My new one does have chirp & it has phenomenal resolution. I can see my lure while jigging on the bottom with chirp & never could without it. What you really need to do is see one in action. I'd love to say i can see flounder on the bottom & though perhaps someone could with a unit 100% dialed in, I can't. But I can see fish off the bottom.
      Red 2015 Hobie Outback
      Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I have a Garmin striker 4 in the box and plan on installing it tomorrow. The plan is to hit smallwood state park on Tuesday. I will let you know how it is, even though I know it won't show much in the shallows. I primarily want it for depth, and to find the channel in the Potomac when I'm hunting cats. $105 on Amazon. FF and GPS, with Chirp. The product video on Chirp and the price sold me.IMG_20160425_173615291.jpg
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Absolutely makes a difference, ive seen a fish on my downscan and hook up right after. Downscan and side scan is the way to go. I have the lowrance elite 5 tiIMG_20160429_183058.jpg
          Native Watercraft Pro Staff
          2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
          33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
          2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

I have downscan but not chirp. I understand from the marketing literature that the chirp units provide downscan image quality (plus color) at higher boat speeds. Downscan is limited to around 6 mph boat speed. So for a kayak-only unit, downscan may be all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
              I have downscan but not chirp. I understand from the marketing literature that the chirp units provide downscan image quality (plus color) at higher boat speeds. Downscan is limited to around 6 mph boat speed. So for a kayak-only unit, downscan may be all you need.
              I have downscan at 455 khz

Comment

does anyone know if the lowrance chirp transducer is the same size as the hdi?

I was looking at the chirp units for my second kayak but ended picking up an elite 4 hdi with navionics pro card for $160 at west marine. I read online that chirp didn't really make a difference on the smaller fishfinders, now im second guessing my decision.
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Chirp definitely has more detail than without, although I'm not sure about the claims of seeing things on the bottom. I find bouncing up and down on the waves makes any detailed information on the bottom irrelevant. Maybe on a calm day you might distinguish a fish.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
                    does anyone know if the lowrance chirp transducer is the same size as the hdi?

I was looking at the chirp units for my second kayak but ended picking up an elite 4 hdi with navionics pro card for $160 at west marine. I read online that chirp didn't really make a difference on the smaller fishfinders, now im second guessing my decision.
                    The transducers are the same size, they are blue in color now. I did all the research before buying the elite 5 ti. It is definitely worth the money. Yes, the downscan is limited to calm waters due to our kayaks being able to go over waves and not through them as in a boat

Comment

Yes afaik the chirp and hdi are the same.. From what I can gather a lot of the chirp capabilities or short comings can be from the way it is mounted. On my old kayak I used a ram side mount for the transducer, which allowed some movement, opposed to my newer kayak mounted at the bottom outside of the electronics pod I definitely receive better imagining.

Comment

Tested the Garmin striker 4 out today. First serious FF I've had. I duct sealed the transducer in the hull, used a 5000mah 3s lipo for power. Pretty impressed. Clear images, good read on the speed...sadly, it did not help me catch any fish...but a guy gave me a snakehead...I technically caught it from a livewell...so I caught it. IMG_20160503_112512419_HDR.jpg
                        IMG_20160503_115239130_HDR.jpg
                        IMG_20160503_115246200_HDR.jpg
                        IMG_20160503_070416838.jpg
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                          Tested the Garmin striker 4 out today. First serious FF I've had. I duct sealed the transducer in the hull, used a 5000mah 3s lipo for power. Pretty impressed. Clear images, good read on the speed...sadly, it did not help me catch any fish...but a guy gave me a snakehead...I technically caught it from a livewell...so I caught it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]18864[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18865[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18866[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18867[/ATTACH]
                          Looks good, clean install.

Here is my side by side comparison. 200 khz on the left and 455 on the right.

20160502_190622-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                            Yes afaik the chirp and hdi are the same.. From what I can gather a lot of the chirp capabilities or short comings can be from the way it is mounted. On my old kayak I used a ram side mount for the transducer, which allowed some movement, opposed to my newer kayak mounted at the bottom outside of the electronics pod I definitely receive better imagining.
                            I dont think i can agree, chirp and hdi are not the same.

Comment

After dialing in my FF, here are some better pictures.

On the left is your traditional 200khz sonar, on the right 800khz
                              20160510_101540.jpg
                              As you can see. The old FF would have you at a spot with no fish.

20160510_111717(0).jpg
                              These marking would be fish on both FF

Comment

Working...
                              X