Fishing with my best little fishing buddy 4/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing with my best little fishing buddy 4/24

I made a couple of trips to my neighborhood retention ponds over the past couple weekends to introduce my boy to fishing. He is a couple months short of two and loves everything fishy just like his daddy, but I had not actually taken him until recently.

I've made a few trips to the ponds over the years and they have been chock full of bluegills and some smallish bass in the past. Our first trip, we went to the smaller pond and over the span of about 35 minutes, we caught about a dozen little bluegills. The fish were tiny, but my son loved it! He wanted to do it all himself, but didn't quite understand the whole concept of waiting for the fish to take the bobber under. He just wanted to reel in right away. With my help though, he reeled in several bluegills and was just as excited putting them back as he was catching!

This past weekend we went to the larger of the ponds and to my surprise there were several 2-3 lb bass sitting on beds near the shoreline of the pond. We tried casting lures at them, but they didn't seem interested. Back to the good old worm and bobber and as long as we could keep it away from bluegills the bass were eating! In under an hour we caught several bluegills and two bass 2 and maybe 2.5 lbs and my son helped reel them. Bass this size seem huge for the pond they are in! Now I'm just worried my son will be spoiled with fishing this good!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Very nice.

He's off to a great start.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Love to see it. You are clearly raising that boy right!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

You are doing it right man! Those photos melted my heart this morning. I still have my 29 years old's little Zebco sitting in the corner in the garage and refused to sell it or throw it out. Saving it for that grandkid???

Your son will never forget his time spent with you. Great job Dad!!!

"You can Always Make More Money... You Can't make More Time..."

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14
        2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Comment

Nice, My son is about a year older than yours, but has already reeled in a couple nice white perch once I set the hook for him. He loves it. I am absolutely terrified teaching him to cast though. lol
          Green Team
          Future Beach 10' sit in - Lime Green
          Ascend FS12T - Lime Green

Comment

Way to go! I'm looking forward to those kind of days once my boy gets old enough!
            Brian

Comment

Fantastic photographs, Nice partnership you got there!!
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

Those are excellent photos!

Comment

Priceless!

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

I have a distinct memory of being a toddler and making my first fishing pole with a stick and piece of fishing line. I had found a plastic worm on the bank that my dad helped me tie on the end. I spent hours flipping it out from the bank and wondering why I couldn't get any fish to stay on the line when they bit it.(Maybe my dad did have a sense of humor after all!) He did eventually show me how to tie on a hook and much to his surprise I came back to camp carrying a 2 lb bass shortly thereafter. I still remember throwing the piece of worm (with my hand) out to the bass and seeing him inhale it and then flipping the fish out onto the bank and diving on top.

It's cool to see you making some awesome memories with your son. Thanks for helping me remember my first fishing trip
                    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Treasure those moments!
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That's beautiful bro!

-Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X