Snakehead trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead trip

I had some fun chasing snakehead this weekend. Finally the water is warm enough for them to get a bit more active. My first SH hit and I remembered why I enjoy fishing for these fish so much. First a strong whack and the beast launches himself a good 4 feet out of the water right next to the kayak as I watch in slo-mo as he flings the lure back in my face. Fortunately the others sucked down my chatterbait so deeply, no headshakes were gonna help. In case you're wondering...I'm not ready to give up this particular spot yet (so please don't ask) but I will tell you that doing your research on the MD angler's log will put you on some spots that you too will want to keep under your hat.

John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Lucky you!!!! I'm hoping this is my year. I've seen them at Mattawoman, and missed one or two at Mallows Bay...I'm scouring maps of the feeder creeks down here looking for a place I can put in that isn't heavily pressured by the generator boats and bow fisherman...nice catch.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

I've seen them get really finicky at times where I'd see one and cast and cast and not get any takes....seems early spring till about mid May the bite is pretty good
      John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice!

I had one take a swipe at a fluke while bank fishing the other day, it looked like a sea monster leaping out of the water, surprised me so badly I didn't even think to set the hook.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Awesome John!

I hope you ate it, cuz they are delicious!!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Snakehead trip

I ate some and let some go. I enjoy putting them on the grill whole...(Not quite masgouf but a great way to avoid having to filet one!)
            John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
              I ate some and let some go. I enjoy putting them on the grill whole...(Not quite masgouf but a great way to avoid having to filet one!)
              Nice!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Those guys look like they would put up one hell of a fun fight! Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice catch. What a fun fish. Thanks for the report.

Comment

Great job! Snakeheads are still on my bucket list of fish to catch.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

Nice Job John!

Comment

Well fishing one of my favert spots last week I saw that the snakeheads had yellow perch pushed up into the march at high tide . I caught a few small perch then a big snakehead followed a fish in . I was fishing with a short 6wt. fiberglass fly rod . I had a few big stripper flys with me so put one on . Wow a 18-20 in snakehead took it and the fight was on . I had caught several on spinning gear before , but on a 6wt. fly rod ,that was fun . Me and a friend like taking our kayaks into the march to get them . good job to you .

Comment

Nice catch. They sure give good pullage.
                          I caught a 6.5lb, 28" sh in march right after
                          I caught(&released)a 20" rockfish...on a day it snowed.

Comment

I "caught" this one at Smallwood State Park, with my bare hand. After paddling/pedaling all over the place this morning...I finally got lucky right at the launch. This beauty was just sitting in a bass guy's live well!!! Oh well, told my wife I wasn't coming home till I caught one. Made a great lunch. I ate the smaller of the filets...broiled and brushed with teriyaki...wow...first one ever, and it is tasty. I'm hooked...now I just need to catch my own...IMG_20160503_133136.jpg
                            IMG_20160503_130759932_HDR.jpg
                            IMG_20160503_132430992_HDR.jpg
                            IMG_20160503_140025834_HDR.jpg
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                              This beauty was just sitting in a bass guy's live well!!!
                              I assume it was alive in the live-well. If so I believe the bass fisherman violated DNR regulations by possessing a live snakehead.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X