Pohick Bay 07/13/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay 07/13/11

Hooked up with Rockchaser (Jimmy), kanvery (Jack) and his GF, Jasmine for a mini snakehead hunt after yesterday's deluge. I was successful and nailed a 24" snakehead but, that was it for me. Jack & Jasmine picked 3 or 4 LM bass each and Jimmy picked a few. Everyone missed a couple. Overall a bit slow. But it was beautiful out there. Check the attached pic. It's Rockchaser in his NuCanoe that he won at last year's TKAA tourney. Great boat for calm waters...
    Attached Files

Great job on catching that snakehead. That area looks allot like Mattawomen creek. Did you use the same lures?

Thanks for the report

Comment

Nice work John! Snakeheads are getting bigger!

Very cool picture of Jimmy, that's kayak fishing magazine material right there.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
        Great job on catching that snakehead. That area looks allot like Mattawomen creek. Did you use the same lures?

Thanks for the report
        Thanks Mike! Yes, it's a lot like Mattawoman but a smaller area. I did not use the same lures. I read up some more, including the VA Tech snakehead study ( http://fishwild.vt.edu/snakeheads/) and found they are primarily a piscivore. They feed mostly on killies So I rigged up a Cabela's Bass Assassin knockoff, in electric chicken, weedless, with an unweighted Gamakatsu swim bait hook (nice and sharp). Then, tossed it at gaps in the spatterdock. Retrieved it just fast enough so it would run at the surface with the paddletail wobbling and... it got slammed. This guy wanted it and now Rockchaser has something to grill!

Comment

Nice report and awesome pic, John. I'll have to see if I can talk my father into a snakehead hunt there next time I visit my folks in NoVA.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

congrats on the snakehead.

that one picture is awesome!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

nice work John. they are a cool looking fish

Comment

Thanks guys. Got lucky with the pic. I looked up, "saw it" and snapped it. Them snakies are way cool and with a mouth full of teeth! But I'll tell ya, the few I've caught seem to give up faster than LM bass. We'll see when I get one 30"+

Comment

Working...
                X