Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy and thx Joe for the Rudee Inlet lesson

New guy here and just wanted to introduce myself
    I have an Ascend FS128T and its awesome on lakes, rivers, and ponds but struggles with current and open water. Im looking into a Hobie or Native Kayaks. Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks again in advance,

Mike C.

I like Hobie outback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback [emoji41]
    2014 Hobie Outback
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
    2nd PLACE
    Slam Division

Comment

I will start out by noting that I am on the Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft. I hope my reply provides useful information without being a marketing piece. Hobie and Native both make high quality pedal-drive kayaks. Hobie is a much larger and very successful company but Native has some innovative designs and features too. A huge percentage of pedal drive owners on Snaggedline own Hobies. They generally seem happy with their kayaks. The smaller percentage who own Native kayaks also are happy with their products.

Unless you immediately choose one brand or model over another because your buddy has one, it is worth doing some homework and taking a demo ride if possible. I refer you to a table I posted a few months ago that compares sizes, weights, and weight capacities of different pedal drive models. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...eight+capacity

Hopefully those data are objective factors. Next take a look at the layout and features that come with each model -- you may find that one has a more comfortable seat or more built in features. Having that type of information can help you reach a decision. You will probably be happy with any of the pedal drive models. But one of them may offer an overall advantage to you.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks bud

Comment

Originally posted by Ken kayak View Post
          I like Hobie outback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback [emoji41]
          Thanks

Comment

I own a 2014 Hobie Outback, I recently took it to a kayak demo day a local FB group I was part of put on. While there I demo'd a Native Propel. while the platform was very stable and comfortable. I personally found the pedal drive awkward to use and very catchy. It seemed like maybe it needed some internal work im not sure but it was a shops demo so I wouldn't imagine they bring broken equipment when tryin to gain sales. When tryin to gain ground quickly the propel also seemed like a car on ice just spinning water and not gaining ground. Reverse was pretty nifty and also seemed to work better than forward for me. I believe I made the right choice in my Hobie but I also can see that if I didn't plan on fishing very large water that the Native would still be a top choice, but on big open water and needing to cover lots of ground I personally think Hobie.. These are the things that I personally noticed. I highly suggest finding someone either on this group or at a shop willing to let you take a spin on theirs. I think once you try them both out you will be able to make the choice best for you and both kayaks are a great option that once you have fitted for you will provide you much pleasure on the water.
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
              I own a 2014 Hobie Outback, I recently took it to a kayak demo day a local FB group I was part of put on. While there I demo'd a Native Propel. while the platform was very stable and comfortable. I personally found the pedal drive awkward to use and very catchy. It seemed like maybe it needed some internal work im not sure but it was a shops demo so I wouldn't imagine they bring broken equipment when tryin to gain sales. When tryin to gain ground quickly the propel also seemed like a car on ice just spinning water and not gaining ground. Reverse was pretty nifty and also seemed to work better than forward for me. I believe I made the right choice in my Hobie but I also can see that if I didn't plan on fishing very large water that the Native would still be a top choice, but on big open water and needing to cover lots of ground I personally think Hobie.. These are the things that I personally noticed. I highly suggest finding someone either on this group or at a shop willing to let you take a spin on theirs. I think once you try them both out you will be able to make the choice best for you and both kayaks are a great option that once you have fitted for you will provide you much pleasure on the water.
              Thanks bud

Comment

Mike,
                This is Joe, ComeOnFish. It was very nice to meet you last wednesday. I am glad you joined the site. This is the best site. Like I said, we, will fish with you in DE or VA for new species. I will PM you with my mobile #.

I may be able to fish on Next Wednesday anywhere.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-22-2016, 03:56 PM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                X