Voluntarily Extending Catch & Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntarily Extending Catch & Release

Having seen a few pictures of large fish with full bellies floating around from the weekend, I thought I'd put in a plug for practicing catch and release through April. Personally, I think April 15th is too early, and I wish they'd extend it through April. I encourage folks to consider releasing what appear to be pre-spawn fish.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

I would like to see a slot limit so you couldn't keep the big females at all.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sickened by all the people that think it's a good idea to keep big fish. Whether or not they've laid eggs or not....they're taken out of the breeding pool forever. There's no need or good reason to keep a fish over 30".

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

I am with you Rhino.

Viking Profish Reload
        Hobie Outback
        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I'm with you guys. But I also hear the arguments that intentionally trying to catch hogs on light tackle for the sport of it increases the mortality rate, even if the fish swim away from the yak. Are we calling the kettle black? I've never caught a trophy fish during the season, there fre I've never killed one. There are some guys that have c&r'd a lot of fish and a couple most likely died, whether the saw it or not. I'm all about the c&r though and the breeder argument is 100% valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
            Having seen a few pictures of large fish with full bellies floating around from the weekend, I thought I'd put in a plug for practicing catch and release through April. Personally, I think April 15th is too early, and I wish they'd extend it through April. I encourage folks to consider releasing what appear to be pre-spawn fish.
            +1
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I agree with the C&R sentiment expressed here.

But there are economic and cultural reasons backed by fisheries science that Maryland allows these huge breeders to be removed.

I'd prefer that they all be released.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I srongly agree with the catch and release sentiment and think the date should be set to May 01. I believe it so much that I am a member of CCA where my membership dues can be used to fight for legislation to help protect this great species and others in our waters from being overfished by the commercial industry. EVERY DIME HELPS!!! We have all seen the dwindling numbers.
                2015 Outback
                2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

I'm afraid to open a can of worms here, but doesn't the amount of fish taken recreationally outnumber commercial takes by a lot? And I don't think it's close. People having fun vs. people making a living. Just a thought. I think we all agree with c&r and preservation.

Comment

I must agree. The guys that I fished with on Saturday were from Florida and wanted to try some striper. After keeping two, and seeing how fat thethe fish were they even decided to not keep any more. I told them wait to you clean them and see the eggs, you'll never want to keep another spring fish. After seeing those large sacks of eggs, they were sickened. It does not take long. However, the next time you go to the fish market and see those larger striper filets laying in the fish case, think of how nice it would be for stripers to be a game fish. I am 63 and have been discussing this for many, many years, to no avail. It is so hard to change a culture.

I must echo the membership in CCA. It is the best conservation organization.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 04-20-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I agree with everyone.....

Comment

I see both sides. I think if you've been a responsible angler/individual for years, you leave places better off than when you found them, always follow regulations, keeping 1 or 2 trophy fish over the course of the whole season is ok (only if you use every bit of the filleted meat though). There is a fair point which has already been brought up, after you've kept your 1 fish, or even caught a fish or 2 and released them, maybe think about heading in. Putting undue stress on fish just to C&R for a good photo op is often unnecessary. Most charter captains will bump up the trolling speed ever so slightly or tell their crew they're heading in after a limit has been reached. C&R mortality varies wildly between species, fishing techniques, etc., but most often, 10% is the quoted minimum, upwards of 30-40% can be seen for certain species like trout. Personally, gizzard shad seem to be the worst I've seen, they'll die if you look at them wrong. The best practice is to be a good angler, and follow the rules in all aspects of your life. If you really want to help the population, write to your congressman. Be an active community member. If you see something, say something. Go to protests about cove point, excess N&P loading (chicken sh*t), etc. Don't litter, recycle, etc., the list goes on. Hell, even by angling from a kayak, we're pretty eco-friendly, so following established rules, even if it means keeping a trophy fish once or twice a season, shouldn't hurt. If everyone fished like the majority of us on here, we'd be a lot better off, regardless of which of the 2 aforementioned approaches were chosen.

Comment

Thank you Yakscientist for your wording and perspective. I was at work and had to abruptly end my comments when my boss walked in. I too see both sides. I just get angry when I see mega trawlers way up in the bay. When I was a kid that was against the law.
                          2015 Outback
                          2016 Outback LE

GO PATRIOTS !!!

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            I see both sides. I think if you've been a responsible angler/individual for years, you leave places better off than when you found them, always follow regulations, keeping 1 or 2 trophy fish over the course of the whole season is ok (only if you use every bit of the filleted meat though). There is a fair point which has already been brought up, after you've kept your 1 fish, or even caught a fish or 2 and released them, maybe think about heading in. Putting undue stress on fish just to C&R for a good photo op is often unnecessary. Most charter captains will bump up the trolling speed ever so slightly or tell their crew they're heading in after a limit has been reached. C&R mortality varies wildly between species, fishing techniques, etc., but most often, 10% is the quoted minimum, upwards of 30-40% can be seen for certain species like trout. Personally, gizzard shad seem to be the worst I've seen, they'll die if you look at them wrong. The best practice is to be a good angler, and follow the rules in all aspects of your life. If you really want to help the population, write to your congressman. Be an active community member. If you see something, say something. Go to protests about cove point, excess N&P loading (chicken sh*t), etc. Don't litter, recycle, etc., the list goes on. Hell, even by angling from a kayak, we're pretty eco-friendly, so following established rules, even if it means keeping a trophy fish once or twice a season, shouldn't hurt. If everyone fished like the majority of us on here, we'd be a lot better off, regardless of which of the 2 aforementioned approaches were chosen.
                            Perfectly put.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                              Thank you, I keep my fish. Im my household we are all pescatarian, and value every catch. Do I target pre-spawned fish? Absolutely not, but it is the life cycle.

And another note, if i felt so bad about hurting these pre-spawned fish, i wouldnt even go out for catch and release. I do not target rockfish in the off season for that reason, just let them be.
                              Native Watercraft Pro Staff
                              2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
                              33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
                              2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

Working...
                              X