Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOTY Points For Fish

Questions:

In our area what is the toughest species to catch?

How many points/inch of each species?

W should keep in mind that 5 pts per inch for rockfish can mean a lot more points then 5 pts/in for largemouth bass because of difference in length. I think the tougher it is to catch a certain species the more points per inch.

Here are Matts suggestions:

Largemouth Bass (5),
    Smallmouth Bass (5),
    Crappie (3),
    Bluegill (3),
    Catfish (5),
    White Perch (3),
    Yellow Perch (5),
    Red Drum (7),
    Black Drum (7),
    Bluefish (5),
    Rockfish (5),
    Spanish Mackeral (7),
    Spot (3),
    Croaker (3),
    Flounder (7) ,
    Tautog (5),
    Cod,
    Black Seabass,
    Speckled Trout,
    Snakehead,
    Weakfish,
    Sheephead,
    Scup,
    Chain Pickerel,
    Northern Pike,
    Rainbow Trout,
    Walleye,
    Brook Trout,
    Muskey,
    Brown Trout,
    Cobia,
    Triggerfish,
    Spadefish,
    and any offshore fish

I don't think it should be 5 points per inch.

5 points for the fish and then if you have the largest fish of that species at the end of the year then you get the 5 or 10 bonus points.

Comment

I think Tog are pretty hard to catch from a kayak and should be higher point valued.

I'm still not sure I'm on board with this format, taking a picture of every fish is a pain on a kayak. If that's the way we go then I'll just have to get in the habit. Plus, seems like kayak wars is already doing this competition. Not sure of the better solution other than a group vote based on contribution/catch/other, right now I'd say Pinch is in the lead!

Would be cool to chase number of species, maybe I'll do that. So far I'm in line with the one fish per month challenge! Not sure I have a picture of my May fish though, need to check.

What about largest of each species too?
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'm not sure all of these species should count. Under the right conditions a person could score a hundred panfish. Maybe a minimum size could be used, say 11" for a WP and 14" for a YP, 9" for a BG and 12" for Crappie. I'd say those sizes are as hard to come by as an 18" rock.

I like Matt's idea of points per fish. Maybe there could be bonus points for exotics, ie. fish not caught locally.
        Just a thought.

Comment

Min size is a good idea and I would limit the species to make it easier. Is this restricted to only MD waters?

Comment

Working...
          X