Poplar Island kayak fishing/touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplar Island kayak fishing/touring

Poplar Island is on my radar this season. I fished several times on the nearby shoreline out of Lowe's Wharf with decent results, but the 8 mile round trip out to Poplar Island is too much at age 60 + in a paddle kayak.

I wonder if Paul, the owner/operator at Lowe's could be persuaded to ferry a few kayakers out for a half day, then pick us back up? That would be and interesting trip; weather permitting of course. Any ideas from the crew? Here are a couple of shots I lifted off a Google search.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM.

Poplar Island is great place for kayak fishing. Yeah takes about 45 minutes to get there from Lowes Wharf in my outback. I kind doubt if Paul will ferry kayak back and forth.
    Let me know when you go again i be glad to go with.I'm just about 6 minutes away.
    2012 hobie outback
    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Poplar Island has an amazing history. In the mid 1800's, it was a LOT larger than it is now, and most of what was there is now under water of course. A whole town has disappeared into the abyss, like other Bay islands.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
        Poplar Island has an amazing history. In the mid 1800's, it was a LOT larger than it is now, and most of what was there is now under water of course. A whole town has disappeared into the abyss, like other Bay islands.
        Thanks Coop. I don't think I can make that paddle both ways. I'd have to camp overnight! Like the guy in Jaws, I need a bigger boat. I will meet you at Lowe's though and work the shoreline south of there.

Do you know a gal about fifty named Jackie Smith? She's a friend of a friend, lives on Tilghman or close to there.

Comment

Sure do.
          2012 hobie outback
          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
            Sure do.
            Ha ha. Who wouldn't know the anchor throwing champion of Talbot Co!

Comment

Made the trip out and back to Poplar from Chesapeake Beach on my birthday a few years back, live-lining for rockfish from jetskis. Pretty fun trip, exhausting though. I believe it's 9 miles one way from the marina, and it was very rough that day, especially to be on jetskis. And yes, my pfd was on the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                Thanks Coop. I don't think I can make that paddle both ways. I'd have to camp overnight! Like the guy in Jaws, I need a bigger boat. I will meet you at Lowe's though and work the shoreline south of there.
                I would invest in a trolling motor and battery and carry a golf umbrella "sail" . you know just for the return trip

Comment

I'd love to see a video of a golf umbrella sail..
                  PigPen - Mt Airy
                  Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I have done it in my outback and caught fish while sailing with the umbrella.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGQJoPlTCWo

Comment

By the way, the state agency that handles Poplar Island tours does not have a boat that can accommodate kayaks.

Also, they don't want kayakers doing self-tours of the island, since the entire island is basically a construction zone. They are happy to do guided tours with groups. Book here: http://www.menv.com/pages/outreach/poplar.html

Comment

Working...
                      X